Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer slower than in 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

artdirectoreric

Instructor
Jun 26, 2001
US
Since upgrading to Windows 2000 at work and Windows XP at home I've noticed that Windows Explorer is incredibly slow compared to 98. This is also true for any explorer-like dialog box, such as selecting a file for an email attachment.Why is this and how can I speed it up?

XP & 2000 used more RAM,and more CPU usage,would you upgrade your hardware? hello! how are you.

Win2000 and WinXP also have to check permissions, see if you have the 'rights' to open Windows Explorer and browse the files/folders. They also have check to for any possible network connections and read the computer to see any other drives that may or may not be connected/mapped. All this does take time.

I use Explorer ALL THE TIME and the slower speed is very frustrating. Any advice for speeding it up? I have plenty of RAM and a speedy computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back