Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer opens automatically when user logs in

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANormal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2002
US
When the user logs in to this NT Workstation (SP6a), Windows Explorer opens up to: C:\WINNT\System32 and displays the directory. How do I make it stop? This is not part of the logon script. It only happens on this one PC.

This is usually caused by a null value in the RUN registry keys.

From JSI:

1. Edit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. If the right hand pane has an entry NoSaveSettings that is a 1, set it to zero until the problem is resolved. This should be a REG_BINARY value.

2. Edit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
For each Value, make sure that the string is valid, i.e., if the Value is ActiveMovie File Extensions, the string of this REG_SZ entry should be ActMovie.exe /Check and not null. The string must always start with an executable file. If it doesn't, fix it or delete the Value.

Other keys to check are:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

John

I checked all of these and there is nothing that relates. Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything - including flattening the box and loading new.

Are there any bad entries in the Startup folders or in win.ini?

No. That all looks good too. It's not related to profiles either. This is definately something burried in an obvious place in the registry.

I am having a similar problem with Windows 98, except one, two or three explorers open up to My Computer. I checked all the places as said above, but still have the same results. Did you ever figure what was causing this?

I have not yet found the problem. I just move back to IE5.5; SP2 and am done. I did upgrade to IE6; SP1 on one of my 98 boxes and it seemed to have worked. However, on several of my NT and at least 1 2000 Server box it has not worked and is still monkied up.

Thanx for the reference to Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, but I have tried that program to no avial. There is nothing in the Startup, HKLM/Run, HKCU/Run, Serves, or Run Once headings that would cause this! I still cannot figure why it opens, but now only opens one window and always to C:\system. Just doesnt make sense to me.

If you have a SYSTEM.INI file, check the shell= command.
Using MSCONFIG or StartupCPL or a similar tool, disable one or more startup-programs to locate the problem.

What should be after the = for shell? shell=(what)

My entire system.ini is simple and does not contain an entry like you suggested. I am running Windows 2000 or Windows 98 and IE6 still crashes Explorer in either system. Not on "all" systems mind you - just on a few random ones. Here is the system.ini file on a problematic W2k Pro box (not much to it):

; for 16-bit app support

[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv

[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON

SYSTEM.INI seems to be OK. Maybe an alternative shell has been set in the registry, possibly at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\. (Windows and not WindowsNT for Win98)

It is a "crash" of the Windows Explorer. Explorer works OK but will crash at random places in the tree. After reverting "back" to IE5.5; SP2 (or there about) the PC works just fine. If I upgrade to IE6 (any service pack) the problem comes back with Windows Explorer - random crashes. There is no apparent reason either. System has caused a fault of some kind and Explorer will close. I can't remember the exact verbage but something to that effect. In fact, if I remember correctly, there isn't even a window telling me what went wrong even in code. It just crashes and tells me so. All is due to something that IE6 does in relations to the Windows Explorer. Everything else is OK except for this.

Umm there is something in the run folder that is tryn to start up, but the files arent on your system. Just delete the line in the run folder and explorer wont open up anymore.

nothing in the Startup and nothing in any of the run related registry keys. One of my systems had "only" 2000 Pro and IE6 loaded and it crashed Explorer. There were no other software packages or applications loaded outside of the box. It worked just fine until IE5.5 was upgraded to IE6. Something in IE's code hates itself.

If you installed any 16 bit apps they may have also affected your config.nt or config.sys files. That may also be another palce to look.

Nope. Only installed W2k Pro then IE6 and crash on the Explorer. Not on all by the way - just on some. In fact, on a couple boxes, IE6; SP1 fixed them - but not all. A few are not wanting to run IE6. It isn't memory either because I took the memory from one PC and placed it in the broken IE PC and to no avail.

I had same problem on one machine, fixed it like this: close all apps (including explorer), apply SP6a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back