Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer Not Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I have an issue with Windows Explorer where it works fine from a restart then at some point it just stops responding.
It has started doing this since a Windows update and no other software has been installed since.
I have the software I require on the computer and all I want to do now is use it to do some work.

I have had a few issues with DCOM errors and several times I have had to change permissions in the registry to cure the problem. That issue seems to be fixed now and I tracked it down to occurring during FTP operations using Filezilla or a home made program. As expected, the experts blamed the home made program but I have been using that for 10 years without issues until the latest Windows upgrade.

I have done all the System health checks, as suggested by various experts and for what good it has done I may have well stood on a mountain top and chanted passages from Harry Potter.
I appear not to be alone in this issue and while there are many suggested Mickey Mouse fixes, doing the rounds, there doesn't appear to be a definitive solution.
Has anyone experienced this issue and been able to work out a reliable fix?

Keith

There is no way that you have used your home grown software for 10 years on Windows 10. It's only been out for a couple of years and software that will work in earlier versions can have problems in newer releases of windows.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Your comment would make sense if it had been buggy from day 1 on WIN10 but as I said, I have been using it for 10 years on various platforms without issue.
I have used it for the past 12 months or so on WIN10 without issues until the recent Windows update.
The only relevance to the issue is that the DCOM issue also relates to usage of Filezilla which I am assured is 100% WIN10 compatible which it would appear Windows Explorer isn't.

Keith

A while back - couple months, I think - at home on my laptop, Windows 10 File Explorer began taking a long time to respond. I wrestled with it for a couple days but eventually found Q-Dir which is in itself a pretty amazing little free program. Very small, memory wise, works instantly, and has lots of customization options. Might be worth checking it out for an alternative when you're in a hurry and Windows File Explorer freezes:

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks, I will have a look but it goes against the grain to install additional software to replace something in the OS which should be up to the task.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back