Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer is not working in ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klilman

MIS
Dec 28, 2001
US
I have a P4 1.3GHz with 128MB RAM PC. It has Windows ME.
I installed Norton SystemWorks and it was not working properly so I uninstalled it. Now, when I opened Windows Explorer to view the contents of my C: drive, all I get is a blank screen with no file listing. I also cannot view the contents of the Control Panel. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occuring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Thank you Styx. I tried this and it doesn't work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Did you try it in SafeMode? Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

I also tried it in safe mode and it doesn't work. I also rebooted with the ME startup disk and ran the "scanreg /fix" command and hoping that would do it but still no luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Unfortunately, to make things work properly again you may have to back up all your sensitive data (Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later, format and re-install Windows.

Certain computers make this relatively easy. If you're using a Compaq, Hewlett-Packard or Packard Bell ccomputer they come with a Restore/Recover CD or set that allows you to restore your computer back to the way it came from the store as long as you have the orginal hardware install. Even some orginal hardware you thought was bad will work for this Restore even though it no longer functions otherwise, if you stll posses it.

If you have another brand of computer that you need to do a Clean Install there are is a excellent tutorial at under the More How To guides.

Please post here and I may be able to provide you with more information on restoring your computer. Sorry I couldn't help more. It sounds as if you've tried all the troubleshooting fixes I know. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Hi Styx, thanks for all your help. However, earlier today, on this ME PC, I did a search on .cpl files and was able to open the "Add/Remove Programs" utility in Control Panel. I then went to the second tab and selected the "Fix Internet Explorer" option. This IE fix ran and prompted me to reboot. This seems to fix the problem. Now, ME is back to normal. Amazing!! Thanks again for your help. Have a happy New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back