Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer & Internet Explorer slow & not responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

efm

MIS
Mar 21, 2003
US
Problems:
1. Internet Explorer is extremely slow to load (usually never completes) a web page. CPU usage does not seem to be a problem. There doesn't seem to be attempt at CPU usage when a web site it trying to load. AFter a couple of burst up to 35 to 50% it drops to 0 to 2% and just stays there. Page never completes loading.
2. Windows Explorer is sporadic. Usually will open one folder but doesn't like to open the sub folder. Often stops responding.
3. Other software seems to run fine except if there is a need to call up a browser.
4. Difficulty with other computers on the network accessing the files or folders on problem machine. I have downloaded several possible fixes and have to load then on a memory stick to apply them to the problem machine.

The machine:
Dell Dimension 2400. 2.4 ghz. 80 gig/55 free.
Running on 4 node Peer to Peer Windows network. All other computers on the network are having no problem except accessing files on probblem marchine.

What I have done so far not necessarily in this order.

1. Reinstalled OEM XP Pro SP1 & upgraded to XP Pro SP2
2. Went thru msconfig and disabled services step by step to determine if one was the problem.
3. Used services.msc to adjust services (used suggestions from blackviper/system411.html.
4. Ran McAfee Virus scan.(Twice)
5. Ran Microsoft Anitspyware (Found 8 items and deleted)
6. Ran Adaware. I run this on a fairly regular basis, when this problem started adaware would hang when scaning CLSID files, different one each time. I am running this again as I type and it has hung again. It usually hangs after running 34000 to 36000 objects. Never hangs on the same item.
7. Ran Spybot search and destroy.
8. Ran IEfix.
9. Early on tried to use System Recover but would not work. All recover points had been removed, don't know how or why.
10. Ran Hijackthis and deleted anything that did not look esstential.
11. Installed Mozilla Firefox. I get the same slow response in loading web pages.
12. Ran Hardware Diagnostics. Both Check-it and Dell Diagnostics.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

When you reinstalled Win XP, did you just overlay the installation, or did you truly delete the partition and reformat the drive? If you didn't try that. Also, make sure you update your BIOS (dell website), and check/rebuild your MBR. Have you had previous problems with viruses on this computer at all? Although you said CPU utilization semed ok, have you check to see what processes may be using too much memory? Does the utilization by explorer.exe look abnormal?

Hope this helps,
Jon

When you reinstalled Win XP, did you just overlay the installation, or did you truly delete the partition and reformat the drive?

I overlayed the install. I'm trying to avoid the reformat route if at all possible.

Also, make sure you update your BIOS (dell website), and check/rebuild your MBR.

I will update the bios and see what happens.

Have you had previous problems with viruses on this computer at all? About a year ago I had a problem, I use McAfee all the time, plus my email is virus checked by earthlink before I see it.

Although you said CPU utilization semed ok, have you check to see what processes may be using too much memory? Does the utilization by explorer.exe look abnormal?

That's the funny thing, there doesn't seem to be much usage at all.

Thanks for the reply I will check the BIOS and if that doesn't work I may just turn this over to a repair show and let them work on it while I'm out of town this weekend.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

If the error occurred after installing a device driver or application, try using Safe Mode and removing the driver or program. In fact have you tried Safe Mode to see what the speed is like? Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

You can also load the Recovery Console and run ChkDsk /r to check for problems.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

See if you have any services that are flagging as "Starting" but not actually running.

Is the System Restore Service running?

Q310405 - How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP

Q302796 - Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

Some general things to try.

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Problem solved. After spending many hours looking at software issues and after running hardware diagnostics, it turns out that the driver for the network adapter was corrupted. When I reinstalled the driver all the problems disappeared. Since this was network problem I logically should have tried that first, but it is so easy to blame it on Windows that I spend going in the wrong directions.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Although that may explain problems with IE, that does not explain the slowness of Windows Explorer, unless you were trying to browse network drives. But the driver for the NIC should not affect local browsing through Windows Explorer.

Glad to hear your problem is resolved though.

For the future...you should *always* do a clean install when re-installing Windows. Reformatting and then re-installing will be much more rewarding than simply overlaying the system files. There is a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back