Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer hangs after W2k Sp4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma0934

Technical User
Nov 30, 2003
IL
I had been running Windows 2000 Pro, Sp2, with no problems.
Yesterday I've installed Sp4; then, when Windows Explorer tries to look at disks of other machines on the LAN (for example, directory listing or running an .exe from another (cooperating) host), it hangs (or slows to an absolute crawl). This has never happened before.

The PC has a single NIC
Help will be appreciated - it's a big hassle
--------------------------------------------------------
Intel Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz, 1GB RAM, Intel Pro-100 VE NIC, IDE disks

"The problem itself [as it affects Windows 2000 discovery] is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 245800 (although MS provides no solution).

"Slow discovery of other computers is just as widespread as the more serious performance issue [of XP's file slowness], but is easily fixed. The fix is well documented in many different forums. It involves going to the following section of the XP registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / RemoteComputer / NameSpace

and then deleting the key

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Syar2003: thank you for your assistance.
In regards to your first post,
"The problem itself [as it affects Windows 2000 discovery] is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base..." etc.
I've deleted the "scheduled tasks" identity in the 'Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace' key; it didn't help.

In regards to you second post, I'm going to try it - I hope it'd help.

On my LAN, I have two Windows 2000 Pro computers (plus a Windows XP laptop). I've upgraded both W2k pc's from Sp2 to Sp4 in the last month. On one of them, there are no problems. The problem is on the other one.
It is clear that the problem is with the share client (not server). As I mentioned in my original post, it's not multi-homed.
(BTW, MSKB article 245800 talks about browsing from W2K to Win 98 pc's. My problem is W2k to W2k and to XP.)

Syar2003: I appreciate your help; I'll post an update once I carry out the registry changes.

Syar2003: I've tried the fixes listed in the URL in your second post ( They don't work. I've changed the NetBT registry entries - doesn't help.

Two things I couldn't find:
1. In that web page it says: "Delete Stored Network Passwords"... etc... user accounts ... manage my network passwords"... I couldn't find it. (Maybe doesn't apply to Win2k?)
2. "Un-check the Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1X box". couldn't find it either - does it apply to Win2k?

I'm going to try to uninstall and install the TCP/IP stack and the "Client for Microsoft Networks"

Thanks anyway - if you have another idea please post!

Well, the problem was solved by taking the following steps (and I leave it to you experts to discern which step really fixed it):
a. Uninstalled Ad-Aware
b. Uninstalled Zone Alarm
c. Uninstalled TCP/IP and "Client for Microsoft Networks"
d. Re-installed W2k Sp4 (went very quickly since didn't need to actually copy files).
e. Re-installed TCP/IP and "Client for MS Networks".
f. Re-tweaked TCP/IP registry parameters for networking behind ICS/NAT (MTU etc.) (if anyone is interested, please reply and I'll list the new parameters).
g. Re-installed Zone Alarm
h. Re-installed Ad-Aware.

Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back