Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer generates errors when clicking on htm/html file

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielUK

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
Hi, not sure how long this has been going on but if I fire up Windows Explorer (on my Win2k Proff Sp4) and click on a file with a htm/html extension then explorer crashes saying "Windows explorer has generated errors....an error log has been created". Dr Watson doesn't report anything and there's nothing in the Event Viewer -are there any more logs to look at?

Some things I've done after searching through some deja postings:

Run sfc /scannow
Reinstalled IE6 (SP1) components
Run Spybot and Adaware

I'm still getting the error. I'm thinking of doing a Win2k repair but am wondering if there's anything I should be looking at before I do this?

Thanks

Dan

Did you also checked for virii?

Jvuz

Yes, nothing to report there.

Thanks

Dan

What happens if you open Internet explorer and open a file with html extension? Does it give an error message too?

Jvuz

No, I did try this, it opens fine when I browse for a htm/html file and open it. It seems to be only related to Windows Explorer. When it happens, it crashes out as the file details show. SHTML files aren't causing a problem though.

Thanks

Dan

Strange, very strange. I'll look further.

Jvuz

OK, I've fixed it. Stumbled upon a thread on deja which reported similar things. One of the suggestions was to run:

regsvr32 /u thumbvw.dll

I did this and everything seems to work fine now. As I previously hinted at, it was crashing just before showing the thumbnail/details in Explorer.

Thanks

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back