Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows explorer disappears when I run an office application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbarnett

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
GB
In a similar vein to 2ffat's post, I've also had major issues following the November updates.

When I run an Office application, the Windows desktop and start menu disappears, and I have to open task manager (ctrl shift escape, run explorer.exe) in order to get my desktop back.
Its Windows 10 home with Office 2013.

Its not all applications that stop explorer though, if I run Firefox it is fine.

sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth both return a clean bill of health.

My windows security log shows an audit failure on open key

Code:
Cryptographic operation.

Subject:
	Security ID:		NETWORK SERVICE
	Account Name:		XXXXXXX$
	Account Domain:		WORKGROUP
	Logon ID:		0x3E4

Cryptographic Parameters:
	Provider Name:	Microsoft Software Key Storage Provider
	Algorithm Name:	UNKNOWN
	Key Name:	{4BB93000-47F0-42C4-BA75-BB2CC878657F}
	Key Type:	Machine key.

Cryptographic Operation:
	Operation:	Open Key.
	Return Code:	0x80090016

Any ideas?

Update: I have also discovers it closes when I exit an office application.

John

I would down load the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Click the replies on the screen until you get to the update download link. Run that and see if that helps.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Thanks James
It did find some issues which I let it fix, but the issue remains.

Any other ideas would be welcome. I'll post back here if I find anything more. Currently looking at items in my windows logs and googling anything that looks odd.

John

I couldn't replicate the issue in safe mode, because when I tried to run Word, it told me it couldn't find a license for my application, it then exited. Having said that, explorer didn't disappear when Word exited there.

John

Its looking like some of my problems were down to a corrupt user profile. Creating a new user account and copying the My Documents across has rectified the worst of the crashes. I've still not finished testing, but its looking good so far.

John

A month and a bit onwards, its not perfect but still a lot more stable than it was.

Installing the creators update has not addressed the issue either.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back