Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer Customizations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmodele

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
Hi there,

You when opt to customize a folder, you get an option to choose "standard view" "classic view", "simple view", and "image preview view".

At the bottom of the wizard you have an option to edit the template. "I want to edit this template". When you look at the code, you see how windows pulls in fields for all the familiar display/sorting options... "Name,size,modified, type".

Is there a way to change a folder so that it uses the image preview view and substitues "Created Date" as a sorting option in place of "Modified"?

My digital camera stamps each picture it takes with a created date and time. As long as I dont modify it, I can use the modified field to put all the pictures in chronological order. If I have to roate a picture 90 degrees and then resave it, or crop it... it retains its create date, but the modified updates to the date it was modified and the photo drops out of order when sorted! Created date would be much better for me in this window and it seems like its possible!

Please help!

-dave

Well, seems that no one knows right off... can someone at least tell me if I have to learn Active X to do this kind of thing? Is there a different resource where I could find examples of customized explorer views.

Im surprized that no one knows how to do this.. I thought it was a simple thing.. maybe not?

-dave

I am at a windows98 machine at the moment so I cannot check the info below but it is worth a go. In each folder you should find a hidden, system file called folder.htt, This is the file that when you open say the Winnt folder displays a message that says that the folder contains system files and shold not be edited. You then need to click on show files to display the files. This folder.htt file can be opened in Notepad and edited so that the message is not displayed. It may be possible to change the file to perform the tasks that you are talking about. Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back