Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer crashing when network connections made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I have a problem. Whenever a system I have here is connected to the network, Windows explorer doesn't work properly. It won't let me expand a directory tree, all icons in the un-expanded tree turn to folder icons, and then when u close Explorer, it stays in the taskbar. as soon as I disable the network connection, it all works ok. it seems to be doing this only when it connects to the mapped network drives, as it doesn't do it as administrator. I've tried using different NICs, and tried re-installing TCP/IP with no luck... can ANYONE help me out?

Thanks!

Do regular users have permissions to traverse folders?

I think they do. I don't have a whole lot of control over user permissions where I am now.

You may want to try to TEMPORARILY give that user LOCAL administrator rights and logging him/her in, check to see if its working, then restore his/her original rights while and only while you are working on it. It sounds like something is missing out of his/her profile. Its not system wide since you can access explorer when you log in as an administrator. This may seem unconventional but it may be a quick fix to your problem.

I don't know sir...I guess its broke.

Let me add to Member Smeglor's thinking.

I think you have a virus/worm or some sort of malware. I know you are thinking this is impossible, I have an active antivirus program on all systems.

You have a virus/worm or some sort of malware that is aware of whether you have an active network connection or not.

Please start with the suggestions in this FAQ: faq608-4650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back