Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer crashed when folder tree enabled 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

euston

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
PROBLEM NOW FIXED

I eventually found why this happened. I discovered that Terminal Services was set to start Automatically. I changed this to Manual start and everything now behaves perfectly.

The original thread (now closed) is at: -

Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

Don't know if you know this. Pressing * on the numeric keypad expands the entire tree that the cursor is on. If the tree is very large, you may think the PC has crashed.

xwb:
Wow.... I NEVER knew about that trick... VERY COOL, have a star!

Yep it even works on my laptop using the [function key&the numeric *] ... never knew that!!

Have another useful tip splat (star)

sam

Dang; I learned something I didn't know. That happens a lot on Tek Tips. ;) Have a star!

Jim

Thanks guys. It was quite by accident that I stumbled on it but when it happened it was a Eureka moment. The system behaves absolutely beautifully now. Wish I had found it earlier. I will never know how the service start mode for Terminal Services was changed (if it ever was).

Every 70 or 80 years, I come up with something useful to contribute to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back