Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Event Log Not Showing Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasmith05

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2002
US
Not sure if this is a hack or rootkit or what. But for some reason, our system event log comes up as blank. And this is strange because it says that there are 2,500 logged events. It's just blank. I've tried exporting the log, but it still doesn't show anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Check a few things here:
1. Is the event log being filter? If so, turn off filtering, show all records.

If not,

2. Turn off the license logging service.

Hope that will solve your problem.

Try to change the size of the log files first then stop the logging service, then restart the service or reboot your server

I will try your suggestions during my next scheduled visit with the client. I suppose I should mention that this server has been owned by hackers previously. Found misc hacker tools along with firedaemon and dameware installed. So I would imagine it was some tool that hides the logs so you wouldn't know what's going on.

I tried your suggestions and they did not work. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back