Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiu397

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
Hi, recently I have been getting a "Windows - Delayed Write Failed" and with the description saying "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

The device I'm trying to save/copy data to is a USB 2.0 portable hard drive 20GB. The HD has only about 8GB used and was just recently formatted(it is also brand new).

The weird thing is it does not work on the system which it was originally formatted on(Win2000 Pro). But will work on my other work computer which is a laptop(Win2000 Pro) and on my personal one at home(WinXP Pro). I have tried on my laptop and my personal systems and the drive works fine but it is only my standalone at work that give me these problems.

All of my systems are up to date on the drivers.
Suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

I've had these errors with USB drives before. I believe it happens when you are trying to write/read/access large files, specifically those over 4gb. I had some problems doing some video editing on a USB hard drive (my 250gb ide hadn't come in yet), and the files it was making were around 20gb. I've never really figured out an explanation or workaround for this, except for to restart your system when you get one of these errors, then when you restart it should be working fine again - until you try and create a file too large. What is it you were trying to do when you got this error? I think it can also be caused if the stream of data to/from the USB enclosure to the motherboard is interrupted for too long, it doesn't seem to have any way to pause or catch back up.

sorry for late response.

thanks for the input. at least this gives me an idea why I might be getting this message.

what I'm trying to do is copy over movie files and the like from my desktop to my hard drive so i can bring it home. But it works fine when i do it on my laptop or my desktop at home. it just seems to be my stand-alone desktop at work that's giving me these problems. i'm not sure why this system would do this, it's newer and faster than the other two and it's the very same system i used to format this particular HD.??????

Can you go to the HDD properties and turn off the write delay? This may slow down your computer (system has to wait until the writing is done), but may solve your problem with this one drive.

it was already done for all my drives. as well system restore is also turned off.

but thanks.

Hi chiu397,

I'm having the very same problem. It looks to me like a Windows 2000 problem on a motherboard with a VIA chipset. USB 2 is supported only since SP4. So if you say you have the problem only on one machine, is it possible you don't have SP4 yet on the other Win2K machine where it does work? XP may perhaps not have this problem.

I did install the latest BIOS on my motherboard (Elitegroup P4VXAD+), and also downloaded the latest VIA drivers. Still the same problem.

I searched microsoft.com but with no result... :( I can't believe we are the only ones with this problem.

Had the same problem with Win XP Pro, Asus A7n8x and ADS drive kit (WD hard dr.) went to device manager and uninstalled all usb,(everthing listed under usb) disconnected all usb devices and rebooted Xp will reinstall all usb drivers then reconnect let the wizard do its thing and all is well now

Thanks to KingAI. Have had trouble writing mass files to USB mempen256 though a mempen128 worked. Delayed write error, or simply stopped seeing mempen. Had recently installed optical mouse and then a 4port hub. The idea of deinstalling all usb drivers and rebooting, adding in usb devices after, cured the mempen writes, and also stopped a mouse freeze problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back