Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Data Execution Prevention issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

technofool007

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
CA
I have a new windows xp pro computer but it will not allow printing to be done. The Data Execution Prevention interupts this task. I cannot remember how to set it so that it does not disrupt the tasks. When you set it to turn off, it prompts for adding applications each time and often times is still won't print.

Can anyone remind me of the modification that should be made to resolve this issue?

Please reply ASAP

Never heard of this - can you explain how you got to this position. Did you log as as administrative user to set up printer? Every XP machine I've ever worked on has had no problems printing. Data Execution prevention config is in system properties, advanced tab, performance settings button, data execution prevention tab - but unless you've set this (in which case you should know how to unset) or are part of domain where its set globally (which you didn't say anything about), don't understand how it got set.

Boot.ini switches...

the following is quoted from Sysinternals Website, hope it helps...
/EXECUTE
This option disables no-execute protection. See the /NOEXECUTE switch for more information.

/NOEXECUTE
This option is only available on 32-bit versions of Windows when running on processors supporting no-execute protection. It enables no-execute protection (also known as Data Execution Protection - DEP), which results in the Memory Manager marking pages containing data as no-execute so that they cannot be executed as code. This can be useful for preventing malicious code from exploiting buffer overflow bugs with unexpected program input in order to execute arbitrary code. No-execute protection is always enabled on 64-bit versions of Windows on processors that support no-execute protection. There are several options you can specify with this switch:

* /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.
* /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT Enables DEP for all images except those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.
* /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON Enables DEP on all images.
* /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF Disables DEP.

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

big ben that looks correct... the last option about DEP always off.... but i can't remember what file to edit and where to find the darn file.

I did it once before.. now i need to do it again i am frazzled.

The file is called BOOT.INI, it resides in the C:/ directory, but also can be accessed via right clicking MY COMPUTER and then PROPERTIES, tab EXTENDED (or so), then SYSTEM START etc.

or through the use of MSCONFIG...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back