Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows could not upgrade the file 1%from2% and windows could not crea 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirbrian

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
US
to all concerned.
i had followed these directions to rid my win me of system restore.
i booted my computer to a dos prompt (ok maybe it is not real dos) with a boot disk.
typed smartdrv 8192 to install an 8 megabyte disk cache to speed up the file delection.
went to C: by typing C:.
Typed "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DELTREE C:\_RESTORE" to remove all the System Restore files.
Created a bogus file called _RESTORE by, running EDIT and creating a blank text file.
Typed "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ATTRIB +r +s +h _RESTORE" to hide this file. This will prevent Windows from re-creating its hidden directory.
then rebooted my computer.
the files that many complain about were no longer there or created again.
but when i went to windows update, certain updates would not install although i tried many times.
at first it was just one update that would not install but that list grew to 6 that would not install. the uninstallable updates were 814078, 819696, kb828026, kb825119, kb828750 and the newer directx runtime.
i received that windows could not upgrade the file 1%from2% many times too but the computer would always boot. sometimes i had to press a key to continue...
while trying to install the newer directx i also received windows could not create directory or something like that umpteen times.
i tried the solution from symantec for Error: "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2" after running LiveUpdate.
i tried the solution from microsoft about deleting some wininit file nobody could find.
i tried replacing some wininit file <that did not work either.
so i finally decided to see if i could repair system restore and if that would let me install the uninstallable updates.
i ; 1)deleted the dummy restore folder, rebooted
2)turned on statemgr, pchealth,scheduling agent (mstask.exe) rebooted
3)turned on restore in system properties( file system properties), rebooted
4)threw in a couple extra reboots
5)went to windows update and installed all the uninstallable updates
6)downloaded and installed the newer directx runtime
7)now everything installed with no problems
brian

I'm missing something here, why go to all this trouble if you can just turn it off from My Computer>Properties? Not being sarcastic, just curious?

Matt J.

I'm having this same problem. I get this, &quot;windows could not upgrade %1 from %2&quot;. I also cant install any updates.
I read your thread but don't understand how you fixed your problem. Can you help me out?

hi, i have windows me, to start with; perhaps you have Disable System Restore checked in system properties> performance>file system>file system properties> troubleshooting. If Disable System Restore is checked you must uncheck it press apply then ok (you will be asked to reboot) reboot. then check if it is still disabled.

also check if statemgr and scheduling agent (there might be more than one) are unchecked in msconfig if so reboot after checking them.

before going to windows update check that disable system restore is not checked and that statemgr and scheduling agents are checked in msconfig.

if this is why two reboots might be needed for system restore to do its' work.

when you download from windows update everything but scanregistry and sytem tray should be turned off(as advised by microsoft) but do remenber to turn them back on after installing the updates.

if you just control-alt-delete to turn the other services off , then when you reboot they come back on.

this could be why but i imagine there are other reasons why this error occurs. for my error the problem looked like it occured because information could not be written to the restore folder.

did you get &quot;windows could not create directory or something like that umpteen times.&quot;??

please let me know if this helps.

brian

Hi - I've got several different issues going on here with my system that I'll post under separate cover, but one of them pertains to this post.

I've been having the same problem with my Windows Live Update giving me the &quot;Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2&quot; on re-boot. The file is a critial update (KB824145), and I've checked to see that my System Restore is unchecked, and my statemgr and scheduling agents are checked in Msconfig but I'm still getting the error message as indicated above (all good).

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the update that needs to be downloaded for System Restore? I haven't done that yet, and am wondering if this is why it won't install the Windows updates?

Any thoughts or other workarounds would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for your help
Lisa

i have internet explorer q824145 listed in my add/remove program properties. you could try having system restore running when trying the update. you could also try checking the date down in your system tray to see it shows the correct date and time.
brian

Brian - Thanks so much for responding! After checking, I noticed that I too, have q824145 listed in my Add/Remove programs. Should I remove, and try again ? Also, verified date/time accuracy in system tray, and alls well there. I'd try your suggestion about trying the update while system restore is running, except I'm still working on how to get my system restore to work. If you wouldn't mind letting me know your thoughts about removing the q824145 through the Add/Remove programs utility, I'd appreciate it alot!

Have a great day
Lisa

i am not a computer guru. i don't know Lisa, you could try that. i hope everything works out.
i don't use system restore. I only wanted to fix my system restore so the updates would install properly. i cloned my hard disk using norton ghost (i also have used XXCOPY to copy my hard drive), so if i mess it up i have an exact copy. i had to buy the extra harddrive which was a few bucks but when the time involved when fixing a software issue is considered i made a lot of money on the deal.

brian

This morning I get this error message when attempting to reboot.
Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2.
%1: %2
Windows could not upgrade one or more system files before starting. Windows may not start or run properly.
If windows fails to start run SETUP again.
Press any key to continue.
Pressing any key does nothing.
I bet the only way past this screen is with a system restore disc or boot disc. the problem is the computer is 3 years old and I have misplaced them.
I have never been enamored of this wonderful product, win ME.
Any suggestions.
I wonder if now would be the time to &quot;upgrade&quot; to XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back