Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows close very slow????

Status
Not open for further replies.

vd43

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
CA
help me please!
yesterday i stared my cumputer, and it seem to take a lot longer to load that usual, now when ever i try to close a window or minamise it it does it very slowly in about 3 or 4 sections from top to bottom. this happens wether i'm online or not. i have checked my performance and am running at about 89%, i have also defraged my hard drive but no help, also did virus scan and it was clean. I am running win98 second eddition on a compaq computer, any suggestions would be greatley apprecciated. thanks in advance, and sorry about my spelling
vinny

How much ram have you got? I ahve found that RAM is usually the cause or your video card, how old are both?

Vinny,

Compaqs are notorious for having unneccsary junk starting when Windows starts up.

Remove these using msconfig:

Cpqeasyacc, Eaclean, Cpqinet, Cpqns, Isdbdc, Service Connection.

Here's other general speed tips:
Try hitting F2 or the Del key on startup to access the BIOS. You may see an entry for Fast Boot or similar wording.

Also look over the contents of the c:\msdos.sys file. Here's a guide to the settings for faster bootup:
BootMenuDelay=<Number>

Default: 30

Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system
will pause on the Startup menu. If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the BootMenuDefault is activated.

NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to
the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.

If it's running that poorly, right-click on My Computer, click the Performance tab and verify the File System and Virtual Memory are 32-bit.

Click the Virtual Memory button and make sure that Windows is managing the virtual memory.

If those are OK, try these steps to eliminate unecessary program running:

The things that make the computer slow are the many unecessary items that automatically startup when Windows starts.

Right-click on the icons in the tray area, open each, go through the options to turn off the &quot;tray&quot; or &quot;run at startup&quot; feature.

For the others, go to Start>Run, type msconfig. Leave systray, scan registry, Load Power Profile (both), your virus scanner and firewall if you have one.

Go to Start>Run, type sysedit. Look over the autoexec.bat for unneccessary lines, click the win.ini and check for programs loading here:
[windows]
load=
run=

Open Explorer and navigate to c:\windows\temp and delete all files here. Empty the Recycle Bin.

Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools>InternetOptions, click the Delete Files and Clear History buttons. Click the Settingsbutton and choose a reasonable size. I'd suggest 30 MB for a 56K connection, only 10MB for cavble or DSL.

Close all tray applications and hit Alt_Ctl_Del and end task on all items except for explorer and systray, disable your screensaver, then run scandisk, then defrag.

If you use Microsoft Office, kill the Find Fast indexer.

If you don't know what an entry is or what it does, post back.

Also, make sure your virus scanner isn't set to scan &quot;ALL FILES&quot;

This is a typical problem for user's running Mcafee 4.xx or later...

Reg is right about Compaq's, but you may have to access bios settings by hitting F10 when there's a little blinking square, top right of screen.

thank you all for your help but to no availe. I changed my wall paper and that seemed to help out somewhat but it is still a little slugish, anyway happy computing
vinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back