Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows CE & VB.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws1972

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Excuse the probably stupid question, but can an application writen in VB.Net, using Visual Studio 2003, be used on a piece of hardware running Windows CE ?

New to all this so appologies in advance

[2thumbsup]

If its running above CE3.0 and you create a smart device application (project type)

Thanks for the pointer Woyler

Is there an easy way to import a VB Windows application into a Windows CE Smart device application ?

Or do I have to start again from scratch ?

The Compact .NET Framework doesn't support the same amount of functionality as the full Framework (for size and platform reasons) so you may find that some, but not necessarily all, of your code may paste into a Smart Device project. Not all controls available to a Windows Forms app are available to a Smart Device app either.

I don't think it is possible to simply import a Windows app into a Smart Device app.

You will almost certainly have to make a number of changes anyway to allow for the different screen size and input methods.

Thanks SHelton

As I said, I am a still new to all of this - and I have taught myself all I know from books, and books are not good at answering direct questions ! Though I have picked up quite a few hints and tips from this forum

In the long run I will get more practise starting from scratch - so not too bad [smile]

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back