Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows cannot unload your registry file. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCannon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2001
US
I have several Win 2K Pro machines that are all getting
the following error in the Event Log.

Event ID 1000
Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a
roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact
your administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195)).

What I'm finding in Microsoft's knowledge base is to
install SP3, but SP3 is all ready installed. I'm thinking
that I'll just reinstall SP3 but I'm not sure that will
work. Any suggestions?

For DILL,
Like you, I have the same problem on citrix MF FR2
I tried to find the process that blocks it, but can't find it. Can you let me know what action you make in processview to find which process blocks the registry hive ?
when i click regedt32 i see plenty of different handles in the lower window. how do i check which process has ownership over the hive?

thanks in advance

Bruno

I have received info from MS that the fix will be KB827825. I have the update on one of my servers and it is working for me. This is for the one caused by MS03-026. If you want to find the handle send me an E-mail at dan.dillman@applications2u.com and I will send you a tool to find the process.

I had the same problem here, Windows 2000 Server TSE with Citrix MF XPa FR2 (multiples servers). Microsoft sent me a new msiexec.exe 63K (03-09-2003 06:28pm) They also made me install "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" Since I installed theses files I dont have the issue no more (event id 1000). Hope this help a lot of you. Work for a week now, had this at every logoff.

Daniel Sirois

We are also experiencing the dreaded event id 1000 issue. SP4 does not fix it. [surprise] Just an FYI. If your are running w2k TS (Citrix), sp4 will not only break the roaming profiles of some of your users. You will also encounter extremely slow logons. There is a patch for that though.

DenAtHome - you can find out what those SID's (S-1-5-21-etc)are,(at least most of them) by reading KB article Q243330 - "Well Known Security Identifiers in Windows 2000".

Solution found:
Now, I have for sure found a solution to the roaming profile and 60 second logoff time problem. I have to thank members at for helping find this solution (
I am running both SP3 and SP4 Windows 2000 servers in my Citrix Farm.

The problem lies with VNC Server. I am running the infamous Microsoft HotFix Q329170 on the SP3 servers. I found, on both the SP3 servers with the HotFix and the SP4 servers, if I removed VNC Server my roaming profiles started working again, the Userenv error disappeared and my logoff time dropped substantially.

Now, there were a few hoops I had to jump through to get VNC to uninstall properly before the roaming profiles started working. Please read this whole post before starting.

When I did a regular uninstall, I would get a message stating some components of VNC Server could not be removed and I needed to remove them manually. I also noticed the VNC Server Service was still registered and listed in the services. So this is what I did:

1. Go to the RealVNC or VNC program group (depending on your version) and run the "unregister the VNC server service".
2. Open Control Panel and uninstall VNC. (May get message stating some items could not be removed, remove them manually).
3. Reboot server
4. Once the server came back up, if you are running Citrix or Terminal Server, immediately disallow remote logins.
5. Change user mode of the server to "install mode" by opening a command prompt and typing "change user/install". (TS and Citrix only).
6. Run a fresh install of VNC and make sure you set the VNC Server service to re-register. You may get prompted about the directory and such already existing...overwrite everything and finish the install. Once the install is complete, you may be asked to reboot. Reboot server, disallow logins, change to "install mode" again and immediately go to the Control Panel and uninstall VNC. This time it will successfully unregister the VNC Server Service itself and uninstall VNC completely.
7. Reboot the server.

Now your roaming profiles should be working again. Run some test to see if they are. I would go to the folder of a test user where their roaming profile would be stored and delete all the sub folders and files, log in to a TS or Citrix server with that test account, then log off, switch back to watch the folder where their roaming profile would be stored and see if the files and folders reappeared.

NOTE: I have eight Citrix Servers in a farm. I did have trouble with the above steps on 2 of the servers and still could not get the roaming profiles to work and still had the 60 second log off time. I had to run REGEDIT on these two servers, after following the above steps, and delete every instance of VNC in the registry. (Obviously use EXTREME CARE when messing with your registry. Updating your ERD and backing up your registry first would be a good idea). Once I finished searching the registry, I rebooted the servers again with the cleaned registry and my raoming profiles started working on these 2 other servers as well. :)

Good luck to all those users and Administrators that have been fighting this problem. ;)

DanSirois

Hello mate, i have been trying to get the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service from Microsoft but have not been able to get a copy and i jnow it will sort my issues with roaming profiles out.

Would you beable to email me a copy at all?

Many thanks

Are there any new solutions to iTouch problem? Or are there new versions of this drivers that solve logoff problem?
thanks.

hi,

use this pacht and everything is ok !!
Q828153

Mirtelo,

Can't find Q282153 anywhere on Microsoft's Web Site or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks.

I have solved the issue. I managed to get a copy of UPHCLEAN and it was the NALNTSERVICE & SPOOLER that was holding the HKCU in the registry open. I have since made a logoff & logon script that stops and starts the services. Since then roaming profiles work like a treat. It is more of a work around than a fix but it works for us for now.

If anyone is ever having problems with roaming profiles then try and get a copy of UPHCLEAN.

Thanks for your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back