Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows cannot play the C:\WINDOWS\media\chord.wav 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelV

Technical User
Nov 17, 2004
US
When I bootup my computer (Windows 98 SE)the sounds do not always load also. In Control Panel/Sounds I click on a sound to test it and receive this message:

"Windows cannot play the C:\WINDOWS\media\chord.wav file. It may be damaged or may not be a valid sound file. Replace the file and try again."

How do I correct this situation?

Are you able to play other .wav files? If you can, replace the file and try again. Try a number of .wav files before you post again and let us know results.

Gene

In Control Panel/Sounds I tested all of the .wav files in the events box. They all bring up the same error message box with the name of the "event" listed before the .wav. None of these sounds are working at the present time. Sometimes when I reboot the sounds will come back, but it is hit or miss each time.

Thank you for the quick response to my request for help.

In the control panel/multimedia icon (audio tab), what does it say for "audio player"?

Is the PC a dell? There is a known issue with some dells not playing wavs. There is a download fix available on their website.

Jaydeebe BSc (hons)
MCSA 2k
MCSE 2k

also- did you have AOL or similar previously installed - it'll mess up (take over) the REGISTRY as to the location of the paths of the WAV files for each.

Create a Desktop folder called "WAV Files" (no quotes)
Pop in the 98 CDRM
Close it out if it Auto Starts (or hold the SHIFT key for atleast 10sec while inserting and it spins up).

and Assuming your CDROM drive is E:\
Start > Run
extract /a /y /e E:\Win98\Base4.cab *.wav /L C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\WAVFIL~1

it's all 1 command string - and will extract all the WAVs to that New folder - then you can Preview/Play/Test each , from within that folder ....perhaps replace all in C:\WINDOWS\Media if it works.

BUT - if it's a Reg problem - there's more involved
post back with results

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

In Control Panel/Multimedia (audio tab) the listed item is Avance AC97 Audio.

I have tried removing items from my Start-up group. I found that my .wav files load properly when I remove my antivirus software. I am using the ALWIL avast! version 4.5 Home Edition.

Try AVG ver.7 antivirus, free and pretty good.

Grisoft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back