Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Authentication in VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyd273

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
US
I have a VB6 program that was assigned to me to work on, and the guy that started creating it did a poor job designing how it worked.

At the moment it uses a stored sql authentication username and password that is embedded in the VB6 code that is used by everybody, and then attempts to control security at the App level instead of SQL server level.

Everyone is in a windows xp enviroment, with a username and password for logging in to windows, and what I would like to do is have the VB6 app use their windows authentication to log into the database, that way they dont have to log in a second time when they start the program.

What is the best method to do this, and where can I find an example of a connection string?

For SQL Server to use windows authentication, you'll want to check out the 'trusted connection' stuff. Specifically, [blue]Integrated Security=SSPI[/blue]

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back