Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows application installer project anomally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrhaynes

Technical User
Oct 27, 2006
US
I have two different Windows Applications each include an installation project. All installations settings are identical between the two as far as I can tell but the installation behavior is different. In one, the program is completely installed during installation. In the other, an install (perhaps a re-install) takes place on the first opening of the program icon. Why?

I note also that the first one mentioned above automatically places a guid key in the registry under HKEY_CURRENTUSER\Software\Manufacturer\Product\ while the second one does not. Both these applications make use of the HKEY_CURRENTUSER\Software\Manufacturer\Product\ location in the Registry in the same way.

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

After the second program does its (re)install, does it do it again on subsequent launches? Does the first program installed do a (re)install if you run it after the second program does its (re)install?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day! Ye has a choice: talk like a pira

The programs have no affect at all on each other. The first one fully installs and does not attempt to install on its first start nor thereafter.

The second program re-installs on first start only, but not thereafter and it works fine thereafter. In fact, when after installing and BEFORE the first start of the program, I remove the installation files (.msi) from the location where it was installed (say a removable device), then the program will not run saying it cannot find the .msi file.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back