Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows and Norton 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkinmoon

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
While doing a wipe of free space with Norton, my computer crashed. All programs seem to be running okay except autocad which will not execute, gives a page fault. Is this a virtual memory problem because of the crash maybe?
any help much appreciated.

I wouldn't say it's a "virtual memory problem" as such. I would hazard a guess that autocad has had something else damage it or a windows component that autocad uses. Probably coincidence that it happened now.

Try re-installing autocad over the top. If that doesn't work try uninstalling - reboot - reinstalling autocad.

Furthermore, I'd stay away of diagnostic/autorepair programs like Norton (systemworks? I'm assuming). Most of that stuff does more harm than good...

Hope this helps.

Here here Les. I have been annoying people for a while now by saying that IMHO, NAV is too complex for the home user. I would always suggest that a FREE programme like AVG, being kept up-to-date is far better.

If I analysed all of the PC's I've been to because of problems, I would guestimate that 70% had NAV installed. NAV always adds an extra 20 minutes to repair times.

Kind regards

Phil

NAV may only add 20 minutes. The full "SystemWorks" package adds between 2 and 3 hours. [hourglass] [hourglass] [hourglass]
Have you read Symantec's procedure for removing this stuff? [mad]

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Les129
"Most of that stuff does more harm than good..."

Win98SE
McAfee utilities 4.0

I have used the "Registry Wizard" and "McAfee Shredder" components for 12-18 months without any problem.
For the flip side, I guess I don't know how to say independently of McAfee that they've helped.
I do know that after McAfee Shredder has run, deleted files disappear from visibility in McAfee Undelete.

I have, on Phil's recommendations from other posts, added Spybot and some dos delete commands to that process - and again have not had any problem that I'm aware of.

Love the thread. Actually I found out that my last virus update from symantec was the problem. It messed with a common dll file which would not allow autocad to execute.
Only took about 2 hours to figure it out, another hour to reload all the erased software.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back