Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows & Microsoft applications crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldtooth

Technical User
Feb 18, 2009
GB
I am regularly seeing my applications (Windows Mail, Microsoft Excel or Word) crash (and restart). This seems to happen whenever I double click a file (in the attached section of Windows Mail) or perform a Control-C in Word or Excel. Any ideas what's going on? I'm using Vista.

First of all check to see if you have enough hard drive space .... At least 15 to 20% of total.

Then, if that's ok, we might have look for solutions.

Never miss an opportunity to shut up

for what it's worth. something similar happened to me when I first got Windows 7.
what "fixed" it for Excel (for me, YMMV) was to turn off add-ins
so I changed my start menu shortcut to

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /s /automation

OK thanks XLHELP - I have 67% hard drive space free. And thanks JustinEzequiel - this might be ok for Excel, but what about Windows Mail?

If Justin's solutions have not worked, then it is likely a registry proble. Please look at this article .

[highlight #CC0000]Caution: if you have not used registry settings before; I would suggest asking an expert.[/highlight]

Thanks, JustinEzequiel & xlhelp. I will try your suggestions - looks like it's not straightforward!

>At least 15 to 20% of total.

I'm curious to know why

a) you recommend this particular figure
b) why you think not having such free disk space free would cause Windows to crash.

I used to say minimum 10%; but lately as applications get smarter I have upped the figure to 15% minimum. Basically, the re-pagination takes up a lot of room on your hard drive whereby slowing down the response or "seem" to crash while it is doing all it's switcheroos. A lot of the times if the computer seems to hang, it's trying to assimilate the data that it requires to display. I have seen huge virtual files just doing back and forth exchange until the proper info is at hand.

That's my viewpoint.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back