Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pichi

Programmer
Nov 12, 2000
EC
hi i have a toshiba laptop, and i have been use it for a year, today when i turn it on, i get this msg: Do you want to activate windows XP? yes or no, so if I choose yes or No nothing happens, i can´t log into windows, the only way i can log into windows is in depuration mode, but i can´t activate windows,, what can i do?? do i need to reinstall, or do i need a lan connection when i choose yes??
hope somebody can help me

Pichi

You definetly need to have access to Internat (not a lan) via Modem or Broadband or.. LAN.
But it's strange it showed up only now...
?!?

ok, but how can i dial to an ISP if i can´t log into windows?

Hit F8 early, Safe Mode, and run the Activation Wizard. It will be on your Start Menu and (usually) as an icon on the Task Bar. I would use the "Phone" option in your case, as the message may well be in error.

ok, but i tried that already, i got a msg saying that it can´t be done in safe mode, only in normal mode.

I've found that disabling certain "services" will give the activation message. Has there been any changes (new software or software removal) to the system recently? I'd use system restore off a repair disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back