Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 9x Networking via Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCMiles

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
US
I am trying to find a cheap and easy way to network a couple of computers and am wondering if it at all possibel to link them through the modems.

My main problem is that each only has one serial port, but it is occupied by the mouse, ON BOTH!!

So I am wondering if anyone out there has any way to network these two comuters via modem (without the use of a phone line between)

Also, one is a laptop, but both are Win 9x (one 95b the other 98)

Thanks in advance.

Jon

How cheap is cheap? All you'd need to network is two NIC cards and a crossover cable. The NIC for the desktop is about 15-25 dollars (Can). You would need a PCMCIA ethernet adapter for the laptop though, they are more expensive. The cable is only a few dollars (depending on how long it is). There might be an issue between the 2 OS's I'm not sure as I haven't tried those 2 together in a peer to peer network myself, Maybe someone else who has will comment.
There is something called a "null modem" which connects 2 pc's together, I think it's just a cable between the seial ports( which you say are being used). This would be cheap but brutally slow.Ethernet is the way to go. not enough free space to delete file...delete one or more files and try again...(real error message)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Can't find a new card for the Win95 system. (1. live in Montana. 2. computer is a 486 with no PCI bus 3. Can't use E-bay (no credit card))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back