Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98SE Task Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
AU
Visit site
My question is: how do I get to disable Task Scheduler? I go and do the recommended thing and click on disable, which is OK for that session, BUT when I reboot, there it is again!? Annoying to say the least. Any advice appreciated.

Instead of hitting disable, try double-clicking it to open it, hit the Advanced menu and select to "stop using task scheduler." I don't have SE, but that's how I do it on my 98 straight.

Did you do the WIN98 SE critical updates on MS's site? Once you do them, getting rid of task scheduler is a pain. The only way I've found is to do Dreamboat's suggestion, and then also run msconfig and then uncheck the box in startup for CriticalUpdate.

You can stop the Task Manager from loading in Win98 if your sure your not going to use it, by going into system tools and then to system information then to tools and select system configuation utility then click on the startup tab and take the check mark off of SchedulingAgent C:\windows\system\mstask.exe and then click apply and it will prompt you to reboot and Task Manager will not load anymore at statup(save on some TSR memory usage) If you change your mind later and want to use the Task Manager just go back in and put the check mark back and reboot and it will load at start up again.<br>
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back