Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98se problems on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

slide

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
US
when i first turn my computer on i get this error while it is still booting in dos C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE D:/MSCDEX0000

how can this be fixed any thing that i can get could be most helpful

thank you very much

Have you tried using the Win set up disk? ie booting the pc with this floppy, and then using the cd-rom drivers. Windows may fix itself?

Good luck

Windows 98 will not open in normal mode. My Desktop PC (Pentium II 350 mhz, 64mb RAM) will take the normal 2 mins to startup, doing tasks like virus check etc. When it starts to load windows it hangs on the Windows page. I have to use the reset key after waiting sweveral mins. I can boot in safe mode with no problem. Is it my startup file?

You need to check al the usual Startup items.
1) C:\WINDOWS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
2) WIN.INI "load=" and "Run="
3) Autoexec.bat (unlikely)
4) The dreaded registry. Much to detailed to list.
Use System Configuration Utility is easiest.
Also, when Windows is starting try holding down the SHIFT key to stop some Startup items from loading.

If it's a registry problem, you can try running from the dos prompt, scanreg /restore. It will bring up a list of dates that the registry was backed up and restore from there.
If it's a system file problem, in safemode, go to start>run
type in sfc in the window, that will bring up the system file checker, wonderful tool. Follow the directions for it to run and check for altered files. Since you do not have access to your cdrom, won't work in safe mode, if prompted for a restore from location, choose, c:\windows\options\cabs. If for some reason it does not find the file, try c:\windows\options. Some manufacutres are wierd! Most manufactures use the options\cabs to store the windows files.
Also if sfc finds an altered file, it will prompt to make a backup of the old file, just choose skip.

If it does not find the file MSCDEX.EXE to be altered, you can choose the option "extract one file from installtion disk", in this case point the extract from to c:\windows\options\cabs directory. The restore to directory should automaticly populate.

If this does not work, as a last resort, boot to the dos prompt and go to c:\winodws\options\cabs and type setup.exe. This should start the install, once again this depends on the manufacturer, make sure when prompted for the directory to choose c:\windows for the install directory. During the setup, it will detect the existing windows directory and recomend, in some cases, to choose windows0 or windows01. This will install windows on to itself, replacing system files necessary for windows to run. I have seen this work as well as make things worse.
Good luck either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back