Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpari05

ISP
Sep 21, 2005
CA
Hello all,
I have windows 98 on a spare machine & last night I was trying to install linux..anyways the problem is that i wanted to go into setup to get windows to boot from the cd instead of the hard disk...i could not get that done & in the process of trying things...I restarted it in the MS-DOS mode & then it asked me a few questions & kept hitting 'NO" .......now when i restart it just starts in the MS-DOS mode & all i have as a prompt is c:/> & I don't know what to do now......again all I want to do is to get the machine to boot from the linux cd rom that i have in the cd-rom drive
-
Can anyone help ??

Hi kpari05...Merry Xmas

You may want to change boot sequence in BIOS. Someone in this Forum more talented than I could write a short FAQ on the subject.

That aside this link will provide you with graphical guidance once you get into your BIOS.

PC Guide

smitee

Thanks smitee.
Marry x-mas to you too & thanx for the answer.
Really appreciated
Let me check it out & I'll reply back here to see if this fixed the issue
have a good weekend !
kpari05

Smitee,
I have a problem. What you said & that described on the link is familiar to me but i am unable to get thee, even on pressing "F2" during startup.....i get the following on my screen :

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98 STARTUP MENU:

1. Normal
2. Logged (\bootlog.txt)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5. command prompt only
6. safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice:

F5=safe mode shift+F5=command prompt shift+F8=step-by-step confirmation [N]

-
what do i do from here ?

The F2 key might not be the correct key to access the BIOS for your computer. If you're at the Windows start up menu, you've already missed the opportunity. At that point, it's best to let Windows boot normally (choice 1), then shut down & try again. As I mentioned, F2 might not be the correct key (Del is probably the most common), but whatever it is should be displayed on the monitor when you start the computer. If all you see is a manufacturer's logo (HP, compaq, e-machines or other), pressing the Escape key will usually get rid of the logo so that you can see the text that will tell you the correct key to 'Enter Setup'.

Gentelmen,
both of you. Thanks much
I got thru..the poor thing[my pc] is already set to boot from cd-rom first....however now it isn't doing so .
-
its an old toshiba 460cdt that i wanna use to play with but I did succesfully enter the setup mode
-
I have another PC..live ..but will try to check if the cd is a bootable cd for linux that i have by trying it on another pc.

you guys are gr8
kpari05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back