Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 will not boot and have several errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2000
US
I was installing a few files to update drivers and i was not paying close enough attention and now I get several errors. some with audio, a few dll and lots of explorer errors which will not let me run most things. I can open the juke box, but thaty is about all. I see my background, the icons on the desk top, the systray icons and even MS office taskbar. Please help me erase these errors or let me know how to get my system back to normal without reformatting my hard drive and losing everything. Oh yeah, I did not back everything up.

please post reply here.
thanks
LeRoy

You should boot safe mode and remove the devices you tried to update. When you reboot to normal mode, either instal new drivers if you have them, or cancel until you get new drivers to update

You can try to load a previous registry.

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER.

Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.
3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.
5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

If you get windows back up and running because of what mhughes suggested then try to check up on your Windows Files...

There is a system file checker that comes with Windows...
First go to Start>Programs>Accesories>System Tools
Select: System Information
Select: Tools
Select: System File Checker
Select: Settings

Make sure you check the boxes at the bottom
-Check for changed Files
-Check for deleted Files

Make sure you have your Windows CD just in case you need to replace any files... it will ask where to get the missing file from and you need to direct it to the location in the CD where the "cab" files are, usually in x:\win98 directory... x being your CD-Rom drive letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back