Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 VB5 and recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik_imported

Programmer
Jan 11, 2000
US
When I reference recordset in program I get the following<br>
'Function or interface marked as restricted, or the function uses an automation type not supported in visual basic'<br>
Occurs in very simple programs that work on IBM thinkpad running win95. Is there a fundamental problem with win98 and recordset or maybe do I have some corrupted files? Thanks.

Nik,<br>
<br>
Could I suggest that you recompile your application on win95? We have had similar experiences in that apps mostly work on different platforms - but that to make sure you have to have a different version for each operating system<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Hi Mike,<br>
Thanks for replying. Don't see this problem on win95 at all, I just wanted to write code on desktop machine (win98) and can't lose that operating system. The win95 is older IBM thinkpad, slow, and just not as comfortable (for me), but I can do that &lt;sigh&gt;. Just an irritating glitch, I feel like I've got a corrupted file somewhere. BTW I have installed service pack 3.

I suspect its a .DLL issue. Newer or different <br>
Is the app compilied on a '95 box and you are trying to run it on '98?<br>
<br>
<br>

Doh!!<br>
<br>
Wrong way round - compile it on the '98 box as well<br>
<br>
(might easily be a DLL problem, as Doug says)<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Sorry I wasn't clear in beginning. The error is a compilation error. In other words, if I open VB5 on the win98 machine, put a data control and text box on a form, attach it to the usual example database (biblio), I can see the database in the textbox and move between records. Then if I add a command button, and in the code have data1.recordset.addnew<br>
or<br>
data1.recordset.movefirst<br>
or anything with recordset, I generate a vb compile error that says, &quot;Function or interface marked as restricted, or the function uses an automation type not supported in visual basic&quot;<br>
I have loaded service pack 3, vbc.exe, and installed Jet 3.51. Nothing seems to work.

Ok .....<br>
<br>
I have no idea - so ....<br>
<br>
If this was me I would:<br>
<br>
1) Format the W98 hard drive<br>
2) Install W98 again<br>
3) Install VB plus sp3<br>
<br>
Sorry to be vague but I have not come across this as we don't use Win98 in-house.<br>
<br>
Feel free to jump in here Doug...<br>
<br>
Nik - try that and get back to us.<br>
<br>
Mike<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back