Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 unstable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kogg

Programmer
Jun 7, 2003
GB
Hello All

My problem - I have built a computer using an AsRock mb, 256 mb ram, with a AMD 1.6Ghz duron cpu. I used and an old hard drive that I had around which is now 6 years old. Windows 98 installs and works fine, but after some time, day maybe two, it starts throwing errors about explorer causing a fault and the systems is then completely unusable.

Any iseas welcome.

Kog

Make sure that only default settings are used in BIOS, and nothing is overclocked.

If ok, then run memtest-86 to check the RAM.
And run the test with only one module installed if there's more than one.

Thanks for the reply.

Bios does have the default settings. I was thinking that it may be the hard drive since it is an old one ( 6 years old).

Thing is the computer has been running all day and night without any problems, then I'm told it suddenly starts thowing out errors about explorer and other dll's.

Another important thing I should mention is the mother board requires windows 98 SE, but we never had the SE version, however, we did download all the updates from microsoft. Would this account for the problems I have put forward.

Did you run the memory tests?

If so and it passed, then run diagnostic tests on the HD which are available at the HD manuf's site.

If it passes, then do a clean boot to troubleshoot the problem:

Also, it's possible that the MB has USB 2.0 architecture, which normally requires Win 98SE and later O/S's to run properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back