Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosrow

Programmer
May 18, 1999
US
When I boot the computer, I get windows logo and the startup 'music'. Immediately after that and BEFORE all the icons pop up on the screen I get the dial up window. I get rid of it, I must cancel, otherwise I get strange errors. I already have checked my startup and there is nothing that will initiate that!! Any ideas??

hi,i had a similar problem with a browser window that repeatedly popped up on startup, after checking i could not see the problem also,so i reinstalled win 98 over the exsisting os whilst saving my original config when prompted<br>
during the reinstall and this cured the problem,<br>
i am not saying this will cure your fault but it might <br>
help unless one of the more talented members of this <br>
forum can solve your problem more directly..<br>
good luck.<br>

I had the same problem, checked EVERY program, every possible setting, no luck. I then removed all dial-up connections, and re-booted. A window came up saying there was no connection set, and a check box to un-check automatic connection. But after setting up a conection, the same window was back. I had to remove all dialup connections; go into Control Panel - System - Network and remove Dial-Up adapter, then into Add/Remove Programs - Windows - Communications and remove Dialup Networking; System - Device Manager - Network Adapters, click the '+', hi lite DialUp Adapter and remove it, and then start from square one. Start with Connection Wizard in Programs - Internet Explorer - Connection Wizard for your Dial-up connection, go into Control Panel - Network and add Adapters - Microsoft - Dial-up Adapter.<br>
This should set things right, and no Connection window every time you boot-up.

there is an easier way <br>
go to system information<br>
system configuration utility(tools menu)<br>
go to startup and uncheck the corosponding box<br>

There's a couple of areas to check.<br><br>First do what guldan says. But there may be some other program in the startup list that itself has been set to do a live update, or product registration, on startup. Typical examples are some HP peripherals, Norton Anti-Virus etc. Also check task scheduler. It's got nothing to do with browser or IE4/5 settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back