Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlake

Technical User
Dec 9, 2001
US
At startup, win 98 tries to open Quick Time Movie Player. There is an error message that it "could not open movie/icon.mov" How can I remove this from my startup menu; Quick Time is not even listed in my startup menu.

go to and download reg cleaner. find any files related to quick time and delete them. BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU DELETE: IF YOUR NOT SURE DONT DELETE IT. you could cack up windows!

Go to:
> START
> PROGRAMS
> ACCESSORIES
> SYSTEM TOOLS
> SYSTEM INFORMATION

There you will find:
A tool bar:
> Choose TOOLS
& System Configuration Utility

> Go to Startup

Find the reference to QUICKTIME, and uncheck it.

*Also, you might try the preferences section in the Quicktime player,,,,,, and see if it has something that says load on startup.

I have to add something,,,,,,,, when I posted there was NO other posting, the other post had not appeared yet.

I have to respond to that post, or at least make some point about his advice. I think that advice is very poor.
* NEVER DELETE files * always rename, if your trying to change things.

*** #1, if you are going to remove some software, use the UNINSTALL feature in Windows ( you just don't delete files, unless you want to disable Windows as was suggested above.)

Also, the person didn't even say that they wanted to Remove Quicktime, all they want is the error message to go away.
(maybe they uninstalled it, and now have that message, but without more information, it's a guessing game)

I don't want to get into any argument about personal ideas about how to fix problems in Windows, nor do I even want to have to respond to any remarks about the appropriateness of my post.
I just don't want to see what I consider bad advice left on the board for unsuspecting victims. (BTW, I have installed Windows over 3000 times, so I have *some* experience doing this. I have also worked on about 1000 Windows based computers, so what I'm saying is based on a long history of hands on experience.)

Run msconfig.exe and click startup tab, remove ticks from apps that you dont want to run at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back