Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike4173

Technical User
Apr 22, 2007
GB
Up until yesterday my pc was running fine.

Yesterday however i switched it on and instead of powering up to the windows desktop (98)a screen appeared asking for me to type in the original serial number that came with windows.I did this and then it asked me to input a microsoft network name and password.I did this without any problems and then it asked me to choose a log on password.I did this and it started to boot up windows for a second and then an error box appeared telling me that there was a fault with explorer.exe.When i click on 'details'it gives me of letters and numbers i dont understand.I closed the error box and then i was left with the windows default blue screen (not the blue screen of death)and no icons or taskbar.Now every time i switch on my pc the password box appears and after that the error message.I am always left with the blue screen.

I cannot seem to get past the error message.I don't know what to do.Have i downloaded a virus of some kind?.

Any ideas?.

thanks!!.

Post the error message, have you tried booting it to Safe Mode? (press F8 during start up)

============================
Hope this helps.

Can you give more details of your setup? I can't think of any reason why you would be asked for 'original serial number; (do you mean the 25 character key for 98) unless the machine thought it was in the middle of a 98 install.

Is this a standard machine - one hard drive, once CD/DVD drive just connected to internet?

My computer did the exact same thing today. When I start it, it asks me to enter the Product Key. Then it prompts me to login to my network, which works fine, but then when my background comes up, that error message comes up. To the effect of problem with the explorer.exe.

I know that the reason I had to shutdown my computer the time before was a program froze, and I tried to end task, and I may have accidently ended task on the 'explorer' option on the list.

But still, that shouldn't remove it from the computer. It is a self loading program that should come back the next time I boot up, right?

Need help. Thanks.

I have had several PCs lately, that upon removing multiple spywares and viruses, prompt me to reactivate. But that is XP of course, not 98. Still, it may be something to consider, that you are infected with something.

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

Yes I am with mattjurado on this one, I think you are infected with a trojan/keylogger and the screens you are seeing are fake phishing ones that have now gotten your information.

If you are able to get into windows at all run this

If not, hook the hard drive up to another computer and run a virus and spyware scan on it.

Also if you are able to get into it. Download hijackthis from the link below. Open it up, choose do a system scan and save a logfile and then post the logfile on here.

Fair warning, hijackthis shows good and bad things, not everything it shows is bad so unless you know what you are doing do not attempt to fix anything with it as you can seriously damage things if used incorrectly.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

If Windows doesn’t load, the problem is usually related to hard disk corruption. For example, the master boot record could have been corrupted, destroyed, or overwritten by a virus. It’s also possible that a critical Windows system file is missing or corrupt.

This particular type of error can either be really easy to fix, or almost impossible, depending on the extent of the damage. The first thing I recommend you do is create a boot disk that you can use to repair the error. To do so, go to another machine that’s running an identical version of Windows 98. The identical version part is important. If the troubled machine is running Windows 98 SE, then you must use a machine that’s also running Windows 98 SE to create the disk.

On the good machine, insert a blank, formatted diskette into the machine. Next, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following commands:
SYS A:
C:
CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMAND
COPY FDISK.* A:
COPY FORMAT.* A:
COPY SYS.* A:
EXIT

There are other files, such as XCOPY32, that may also be helpful should you get into a difficult repair, but these particular files should get the job done. At this point, write protect the disk to prevent any viruses that might exist on the failing machine from infecting the disk. Now, boot the failing machine from the disk that you’ve created. When the machine boots to the command prompt, enter the following commands:
FDISK /MBR
SYS C:

These two commands are designed to make the machine bootable, without overwriting anything important. The FDISK /MBR command fixes the machine’s master boot record. The SYS C: command reinstalls the COMMAND.COM file and the hidden IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS files. You should now be able to boot the failing PC without the repair disk.

Hi Guys, I too am having this problem thinking about it the
window asking for the serial number did look a little odd to me (typeface didnt look right). Has anyone solved this yet? Tried the above but it doesn't help also tried to start in safe mode with same Explorer error window had been connected to when the p.c froze up so suspect possible virus.
However trying to avoid format job.

All advise wecome.

Thomas

tomaso11, please start a new thread. Try to load in safe mode. If you cant, slave the drive on another system and do virus/spyware scans.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back