Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 shutdown problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CedartownComputers

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
US
I have a machine that I built for a customer who is having some problems. The machine will just shutdown while they are using it. I used a ASUS motherboard with Intel Celeron 700 mhz processor. 128 megs of ram. It seems to happen more when they are using Microsoft Word (office 2000). The customer says the machine will shut down and then restart.

thanks,
Andy

I have seen this happen on IBM PC workstations. The cause that I was getting was too much drain on the power supply. I had a couple of hard drives in it and when I would click on My Computer, it would spin up the hard drives and cd rom drives. When it did all of these at one time, it drained the power and the system would automatically shut down. I do not know of any way of testing this, but it sounds like a power problem to me.

bxrxyxe

If it reboots it sounds like power. If it shuts down and restarts it is more likely something else. A memory swapout might help. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I may well be the memory its worth a try as I have had some realy strange problems theat have been caused be memory and shutting down is one of them . It may also be that an error is flashing up on the screen that is a bit quick to be seen this may also point you in the right direction

Hope its useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back