Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 registry cleaning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffaucher

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2000
CA
Is there a software that can clean the Windows 98 registry from links to already removed programs from the hard disk?
Thanks

Francois

You are probably looking for Microsoft RegClean.
RegClean analyzes Windows Registry keys stored in a common location in the Windows Registry. It finds keys that contain erroneous values, and after recording those entries in the Undo.Reg file, it removes them from the Windows Registry.

Here's the link for a direct download.
Enjoy.

-Brett

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/REGCLEAN.EXE

I use the following I trully believe that even if you do not want to keep it you owe to yourself to give it a try
that one is the easiest to use on the market
and allows you to make informed decisions
on many tech boards the product is well accepted.

Yes, RegCleaner is a good one.
I prefer EasyCleaner from Beware the "duplicate files" section, unless you really know what you're doing, but I've had no problems with it from Win95b through 98/98SE and ME. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

I used a program called Erazer99 but I don't know where I got it from. It's a neat little program which removes unneeded files out of Windows System directories etc as well as clean up the registry. I have also used Add/Remove Plus from which is handy to remove icons from the Add/Remove window if programs have been deleted or corrupted instead of uninstalling. I tend not to keep programs like this on my system though - I run them, let them do their thing, then uninstall.

Neat little freeware program called REGCLEANER. This is
not the MS REGCLEAN. Allows you to edit or delete in the registry. AUTOCLEAN function really does the job. Creates backups just in case.

Can't remember which website I got it from, but well worth the search.

Have not had any problems since using it.

Norton Cleansweep is excellent as well. You can do a lot, you can perform a registry sweep, which will analyze and remove invalid keys that are referenced to any programs and also gives you the option to backup before removing. It also has a orphan file finder, unused file finder, etc. Check it out if you can, its worked well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back