Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 registry checker error ! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a 400 PII machine with asus PII 99 mainboard.+ 128 MB SDram.
I am encounter a "windows registry checker" error every time I reboot my PC repeatedly and after trying to boot it from safe mode it prompts me with "Himem.sys" failure and my computer hangs in command prompt.
other errors like "explorer error" are susequent to insisted reboots...
I reinstalled Win98 more than 4 times..
I format my C: partition..and also I Fdisk my whole hard and reinstalled all programs from the beginning but the problem persists.
Scandisk and NDD.exe didn't find any disease in my hard disk.and PCcillin didn't warn for any known Virus.
Would you please tell me what is the cause?
and what is the solution?
PS:win98 starts well but after every serious and relativeley big software it starts like above.

boot to dos, run SCANREG /FIX, then go watch a movie, take a nap, or do something that will kill a couple of hours :)

You didn't say if you just upgraded or not but, if you added memory that may be your problem. Have seen CPU's cause it too. Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back