Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 rebooting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexburg

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
Hello fellow tek-teps users

I have a machine running windows 98. My problem is that once you boot the machine it runs for about 5 minutes then it shuts down, then it continues to try to restart but never gets the windows screen. The only way you can it to run again is to unplug it and reboot, then it starts the same sequence all over again. I know XP has had problems with this virus, but I can’t find any fixes on the Microsoft’s site to fix the windows 98 problem as they don’t support it anymore, so they tell me. Any help with free sites where I can get a fix would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rex

Hi,

Can you get into the machine in safe mode (press shift f8 at startup and choose safe mode), you can then run a virus checker.

John

Two causes for the shutdowns that I can think of...

1. Power supply..may not be running properly or not enuff juice to run every peripheral.

2. Memory error .. memory fills up and craps out.

Hope either helps.

How about modifying the msdos.sys file to get the boot menu option when you come up, then try safe mode a time or two, and dos mode a time or two to see if there is any difference in the actions.
Or you could do a dos boot from the emergency boot disk to see if it does it from pure dos.
This sounds more like a hardware problem from heat given the time delay and repeatability. Like maybe one piece of memory where a driver is loaded is failing. Safe mode should help eliminate that possibility.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hve you checked the fan on the CPU? Could that be over-heating?

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

i have heard that there may be a 9x version on blaster being programmed by some 10 year old kids (lol), chrck your ram, processer ect. if they work find move the computer power supply to another plug socket. If taht doesnt work ry a format and install on 98.

Do you think I should by a monkey, it's cheaper and better than windows :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back