Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98/NetWare 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy53

MIS
Jan 7, 2000
US
Is it ok to install Windows 98 on the DOS partition before installing NetWare 5 server? I've got a lab server at home running NW5 which has a V.90 modem whose driver can only run with Windows 95/98/NT. I want to set up an Internet Access server but can't get the modem to work on the server using the manual or Hayes Compatible drivers in Netware. Any help would be appreciated. [sig][/sig]

Hate to tell you this - you have a win-modem, and it will ONLY run under Windows95/98. Novell can only run as a DOS type process, as it takes over the machine, and will NOT run under Windows of any flavor. Get rid of the winmodem (it puts excess load on the CPU) and get a real modem - if the package says "Runs under Windlws 98" or some such, it is a winmodem, if it refers to running under DOS or other OS then it is a hardware modem and should wouk under Novell.

I am upgrading a workstation from Windows 95 to Windows 98 SE. Whenever I upgrade that workstation, I cannot see the server. I am using Novell Client32 ver 3.3. Once I uninstall Windows 98 SE I can see the server using Windows 95. Can you tell me what I am missing in the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back