Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Multimedia 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergee

Technical User
May 5, 2003
AU
Im was fixing some error on my PC n i accidently removed Multimedia (in Add/Remove Hardware>Win Components) well, i solved my problem but it wasnt problem with Multimedia anyway, and now I can't add all my win98 Multimedia that i removed (means i cant play sounds or videos and stuff) and I dont know how to get it back, since I dont have my Win98 CD-Rom..Help anyone?? please

I mean no disrespect but sounds like you're screwed. Try not to make changes that require the CD (just about anything involving system components) unless you have it...
When it asks for the cd, just hit ok, and see if it is looking for a specific file; if it is, do a search for that file, and you may get luckier than hell and have it saved somewhere on the hard drive. If your computer is OEM, you should have what amounts to a neutered Win 98 cd somewhere on your hard drive. (C:/Win98....maybe C:/Windows/options/cabs)

Your trying to reinstall/add the multimedia programs (ie. CD player, Sound Schemes, Audio Compression, etc) back into Windows ?

1. Goto the Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs
2. Click the Windows Setup tab
3. after Windows searches for installed components, scroll down and check the multimedia box. (If its already checked, uncheck it, restart the machine, then check it)
4. Click Apply.....follow the instructions on your screen. When it askes for the Windows98 CD, refer it to C:\windows\options\cabs.
This is where Windows installs backup CAB files for installing/restoring drivers and components.

This only works if the CAB files are present on the drive. If the CAB files are missing oops![surprise].....sorry...your gonna have to find a CD.

Hope this helps [spineyes]- Shawn

If you don't have the Win98 CD, all may not be lost. Generally the files will still be somewhere on the hard drive, most likely in the locations where the setup program wants to copy them. Now, the way to get around your problem is this: When the setup program asks for the disk, click details, and the details window will show you where the file needs to be copied from (usually from the Win98 CD) and where the file needs to be copied to. If the file already exists on the hard drive, try pointing the browse window at the directory where it wants to copy the file to, in effect making the destination directory (which already contains the file because it was once installed) the source directory. If all goes well Windows will find the source file(s), "copy" it over itself, and go onto the next file(s). Once it's finished and asks for the next set of files, click details, find out where the next file needs to go and make that directory the source in the browse dialog. Repeat ad nauseam until it finishes, reboot or whatever and viola! Everything is back the way it was.

I use this technique constantly at customer's places.

Hope this helps.

Just narrowing your search, point to the...

c:\Windowsc:\Windows\Systemc:\Windows\System32
...directories. You might have to switch between them to get it finished. This is a common practice when you change something in your TCP/IP settings or network settings in general and it'll ask for your Windows CD. You could put in the Windows CD, but it saves time since all the TCP/IP and network drivers are already on your HD.

If it's not in those directories, you'll have to find yourself a Windows CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back