Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 machine will not shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJohnson4611

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
US
I have a Windows 98 machine that will not shutdown. I go to the start button, select shutdown and it acts like it is shutting down but never does. Any thoughts?

Go to Start/Run, type msconfig, click OK, click the Advanced button, place a check mark in the box for 'Disable fast shutdown', and click OK.
See if that works.

Also, it would help to know whether you have Win98 or Win98SE (Second Edition).

Make sure you've gone out to Windows Update and applied all "critical" and any relevant "recommended" updates.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

And even after that you may have problems, or it may come back. There are 2 very long threads here, plus 1 FAQ covering the issues, and a google search will turn up more.
And there is a shortcut you can put on the desktop that will be the endall if nothing else works.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Some manufacturers had this problem, notably Compaq had some video and sound drivers that were known to be somehow incompatible with Novell Netware IPX/SPX network drivers and protocols, but this can happen with nearly any Win98 system. I agree, download the latest security and recommended updates, as one or two of them fixes some frozen shutdown issues.

If your machine has a LAN card and you are not on a LAN then try > Control panel > System > Device Manager > Network adaptors > Rt click on the LAN card > Properties > General tab > Check box "Disable in this herdware profile > Reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back