Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Logon issue with Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchimovitz

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2002
US
I have 85 Windows 98 computers (all around 650 mhz) that were running fine with the NT 4 server. We migrated to a Windows Server 2003 Domain, moved the users, reset all passwords and permissions, and loaded the dsclient from the 2000 Server cd. Before we loaded the dsclient, the users could login but when we forced a password change, they lost the ability to login anywhere. After the dsclient was installed, whenever a user logs in, he or she recieves a message that "no domain server was available to validate your password..." The user clicks OK and gets into Windows. The vbs login script I wrote still maps the users my documents to their folder on the server and they can still access most network utilities and shares. DNS and WINS are both configured properly and issued via DHCP. Also, I have TCP/IP and NETBEUI loaded on the individual PC's. TCP/IP is configured for DHCP. All of our swithes are 10/100 and our NIC's are 10/100. Any ideas why I can't get the computers to login to the domain?

hey - there's another post regarding this in this forum.
Basically, you have to install the dsclient on the win98 machines and oh well - here it is: thanks to jfwebber

jfwebber (MIS) Dec 17, 2003
In the Default Domain Controller Security Policy, and in the Domain Security Policy, you have to disable "Domain Member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always)".

You also have to install dsclient.

Jim
Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back