Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Logon Box not appearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdwhite

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
We have several machines running 98 SE w/ IE 5 and 6 that are having logon problems. When the system boots up to our network, the network logon box does not appear. The system auto-logs on the last user to the network without asking them for their login credentials. I have looked at the registry in accordance with TechNet's suggestions and found no problems. I have also added the recommended registry lines with no success.
The machine needs to ALWAYS ask for a login box in order to logon onto our network. This seems to be happening to a specific brand of computers (MSI slims). We are running Windows NT 4.0 Network with 200 Plus accounts.

Thanks!

In Win98:

1) Right-click Network Neighborhood and go to properties.
2) Double-Click "Client For MS Networks"
3) Verify that "Quick Logon" is NOT selected and that the proper Domain is filled in
4) Hit OK and back on the Configurations tab, verify that "Client For MS Networks" is listed under Primary Network Logon
5) Hit OK and reboot if changes were made

Are you getting any kind of login prompt (Windows or Network)?

I know you said that you tried all the registry solutions (although I'm not sure what you tried) but when this happens on our network, we have always fixed it by changing the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net

AutoLogon= xx

Whatever it is, we change it to the opposite!

The full article in the MS Knowledgebase is "No Windows or Network Logon Dialog Box at Startup (Q141858)"

Hope this helps

I have even tried that MS Knowledgebase article. What's funny is that the registry contains NO such entry . I have added it and removed it and readded it.. no luck. These machines were once full functional until one day they just went bezerk and now they always boot right in. Then you have to "LOGOFF" to get back to the logon prompt. Someone suggested that I try installing TWEAKUI on each system and FORCE the logon box to see if that works ..
I'm at a loss .. I have also read that it could be a possible NETWORK INTERFACE driver issue and to update the driver to see if it fixes the problem . have not yet done that.

Have you tried deleting all the .pwl (password) files and forcing a logon? Maybe some of the passwords are corrupt.

Ken,

You verified that the "Quick Logon" option was deselected, right? If so, I would also suggest that you delete all *.pwl files and see if it'll bring the prompt back. In addition, open System.ini in notepad and delete all the lines under the Password Lists section.

Besides deleting the .PWL files... try changing Primary Network Logon from Microsoft Client to Windows Logon, reboot, and then change it back, then reboot again.

TweakUI did pop into my mind and would give you the option to force the login (although usually people use it to bypass the login) but I would think there must be a way to fix it without using TweakUI

We have tried all the steps mentioned above. In fact, the Deletion of the PWL files and then changing the logon preferences (windows reboot client reboot) is succcessful...

---- ONE TIME ----

Go figure.. after the next reboot, the system reverts BACK to its original messed up state ... Quite interesting..

That is strange...

I assume you've checked the Properties of the Microsoft Client to make sure all the "Log on to Domain" info is accurate (if it wasn't... it wouldn't have worked the one time.)

Have you tried uninstalling all the network components and reinstalling them? What protocols do you have loaded? That really shouldn't make a difference, though either... not for the logon box problem....

Was the prompt you received a Windows logon or Network logon box?

It just created a new .pwl file and is using that every time your system boots up. That explains why it only worked once. However, you probably aren't getting a Network login prompt, because you set the "Primary Network Logon" back to [/b]Windows Logon. When you are attempting to log into a domain, this should be set to Client for MS Networks. That way it will ask you for User Name, Password, AND Domain Name. The only other thing I can think of is that the WINS & DNS information or Domain name are incorrect...

Was the prompt you received a Windows logon or Network logon box?

It just created a new .pwl file and is using that every time your system boots up. That explains why it only worked once. However, you probably aren't getting a Network login prompt, because you set the "Primary Network Logon" back to Windows Logon. When you are attempting to log into a domain, this should be set to Client for MS Networks. That way it will ask you for User Name, Password, AND Domain Name. The only other thing I can think of is that the WINS & DNS information or Domain name are incorrect...

I Guess I should have mentioned that everything is set to logon tho the Domain. Everything is the way it should be and yet it still does not ask for a network logon box unless you logout and log back in.. That's the weird part.

Ken White

IT Manager/SR. Network Administrator
MCP NT4, MCSE 2000

Thanks!

No Windows or Network Logon Dialog Box at Startup (Q141858)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
When you start Windows, you may not receive a Windows or a network logon dialog box, or you may receive one of the following error messages:

No network provider accepted the given network path.

The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.

Or, the Change Passwords tab may be missing from the Passwords Properties dialog box. Note that this symptom occurs only if the second cause listed below is in effect. In addition, if you are not prompted to log on and then you immediately log off, you will then receive a prompt to log on.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions exists:

The Primary Network Logon setting is not set correctly.

The following entry appears in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net

AutoLogon= xx
NOTE : The AutoLogon value must be a BINARY value and must be set to 00 for automatic logon to work.

You are logging on to a Novell NetWare network and the server you log on to is running multiple frame types.

You are logging on to a Microsoft or NetWare network and you have cached your network password.

The network adapter is improperly configured.

RESOLUTION
Use the troubleshooting steps that are listed below to resolve the problem. Make sure to restart Windows after each step and test to see if the problem is resolved.

WARNING : Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

NOTE : You can edit the registry by using System Policy Editor (Poledit.exe) or Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Check with your network administrator before you make any changes to the registry.

System Policy Editor (Poledit.exe) is available in the Admin\Apptools\Poledit folder on the Windows 95 CD-ROM. Use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to install System Policy Editor.

In Windows 98, System Policy Editor is available in the Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM.

NOTE : System Policy Editor is not included in the floppy disk version of Windows 95. You can download Policy.exe, a self-extracting file that contains Poledit.exe, from online services. For additional information about downloading Policy.exe, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q135315 CD-ROM Extras for Microsoft Windows 95 Update
Troubleshooting Steps
Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click Network . Click the appropriate setting in the Primary Network Logon box, and then click OK .

Delete the following entry in the following registry key:

AutoLogon= xx
Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click Network . Double-click IPX/SPX-Compatible Protocol , click the Advanced tab, click Frame Type , change the value from Auto to the specific frame type that is running on the server you log on to, click OK , and then click OK . If you do not know which frame type is running on the server you log on to,contact your network administrator. Repeat this step as necessary, trying each frame type, to determine if selecting one of the frame types causes a network logon dialog box to appear at startup.

Disable the Automatic NetWare Login option by using either System Policy Editor (as described on page 515 of the Microsoft Windows 95 Resource Kit ), or by using Registry Editor to add the following DWORD value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NWNP32\NetworkProvider\DisableDefaultPasswords = 1
For additional information about troubleshooting problems related to enabling the Maximum Sockets or Maximum Connection setting, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q142489 Problems After Modifying Maximum Connections or Sockets Value
This issue can also occur if the following setting is listed in the registry under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network

Disable Password Caching
Whether the value is set to 0 or 1, remove it to resolve this issue.

MORE INFORMATION
If you right-click a NetWare server in Network Neighborhood and then click Attach As on the menu that appears, you have the option to save (or cache) your password. If you save the password, it is stored in your password cache file. If the Primary Network Logon box is not set to Client For NetWare Networks , you are not prompted to log on to your preferred server. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q127933 Err Msg: No Network Provider Accepted the Given Network Path

================================================

How to Display Domain Logon Confirmation in Windows (Q150898)

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95

SUMMARY
This article describes how to cause Windows to display a dialog box that lists the server that validates a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium (Me) client logging on to a Microsoft Windows NT or LAN Manager domain. This information may be helpful when you are troubleshooting network problems.

MORE INFORMATION
You can edit the registry using System Policy Editor (Poledit.exe) or Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Check with your network administrator before you make any changes to the registry.

Use System Policy Editor or Registry Editor to display a dialog box that lists the name of the validating domain controller.

Using System Policy Editor (Recommended)
System Policy Editor (Poledit.exe) is available in the Admin\Apptools\ Poledit folder on the Windows 95 CD-ROM. Use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to install System Policy Editor.

NOTE : System Policy Editor is not included in the floppy disk version of Windows 95. You can download Policy.exe, a self-extracting executable file containing Poledit.exe, from online services. Please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information about downloading Policy.exe:

ARTICLE-ID: Q135315
TITLE : CD-ROM Extras for Microsoft Windows 95 Upgrade
NOTE : Windows Millennium Edition (Me) does not include the System Policy Editor tool (Poledit.exe). In addition, the System Policy Editor tool that was included in Microsoft Windows 95, and Microsoft Windows 98 is not supported in Windows Me. Please view the "Using Registry Editor" section below to configure Windows Me to display the Logon Confirmation dialog box.

In Windows 98, System Policy Editor is available in the Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM.

Use the following steps to edit the registry with System Policy Editor:

Click Start , and then click Run .

In the Open box, type "poledit" (without quotation marks), and then click OK .

On the File menu, click Open Registry , and then double-click Local Computer .

Double-click Network , and then double-click Microsoft Client For Windows Networks .

Click the Log On To Windows NT check box to select it.

In the "Settings for Log on to Windows NT" section, click the Display Domain Logon Confirmation check box to select it, and then click OK .

Save the changes to the registry, quit System Policy Editor, and then shut down and restart Windows 95/98.

Using Registry Editor
WARNING : Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Use Registry Editor to add a DWORD value named "DomainLogonMessage" (without quotation marks) to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon

Set the data value for DomainLogonMessage to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back