Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 keeps choking on a standard pci grapics adapter driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

laker42

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
US
I just reloaded windows 98 on my friend's machine. After the installation was complete, the machine would not start up in normal mode. It kept wanting to start in safe mode. I looked in the device manager under the display adapters and it shows two things. One being the S3 Trio 32/64PCI video card that is installed. The second being a standard PCI graphics adapter. If I delete the Standard PCI graphics adapter, the machine will start up normally. It will say it found a new device and wants to reinstall this standard pci graphics adapter driver. If I don't install it, the machine works fine. If I reinstall it, the machine won't start up, it locks up at the windows progress bar. I tried finding a more up to date standard pci graphics driver but it seems it is the latest driver. Any ideas as to what I can try to get this to work?

Thanks!
John

Sounds like the machine also has a onboard video chip. Go into the BIOS and disable it if there is one.

I was wondering if it did. I haven't had time to open up the box to check yet. I will check the BIOS to see if I can disable it. Thanks for the suggestion!

As Comtech17 said

You don't want 2 under Display n Device Manager...there's definitely an .inf file responsible for the add new hardware wizard to keep appearing (likely C:\WINDOWS\INF hidden folder), though Disabling BIOS onboard should do it.
To view all files and folders..
Start > Settings > Folder Options > VIEW tab - tick "Show All FIles" and UnTick " Hide extensions for known file types"

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

YOu should be able to tell without opening the box. Onboard video will have a d15c parallel with the M/B and off board will have the connector parallel with the expansion card.
2 connectors available will indicate that you have both.
In most cases you can use the S3 device as a standard device, super vga and get 800/600.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

There ended up being 2 video cards. The S3 was the onboard video card. I ended up taking out the second video card. Rebooted and everything came up fine. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back