Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Hangs on Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBell

MIS
Dec 7, 2001
US
I have a win 98 system that hangs when it boots. It gets to where the win 98 logo come up with the blue colr bar moving. It makes about 3 passes of the bar and han it hangs. I got it into safe mode and ran the disk error check and it found nothing. Any ideas?

Sometime the easiest way to resolve these problems is to determine what cheanged since it was last working. Did this start happening recently, perhaps after you installed or downloaded something?
Check in MSCONFIG while in Safe Mode and see if there's anything you can disable.

Try hitting the escape key when it hangs on the logo. This should show the last command proccessed before the hangup. A line in your autoexec file could be causing the problem.

If you can get into DOS, try typing scanreg /restore (note single space between g /) at the prompt and choose a registry date when the PC was OK. Then try and work out what happened since that date to make it do what it now does. DOS Tip #1701: Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
Phil
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Thanx for all the great info. It seemed the problem was with Mcafee virus protection that AOL sent out. THat was the last install on the system and I removed it and all is well.

THanx again,
Chris...

I had the same problem with my machine hanging after downloading the updated from McAfee. I was told to start in SAFE MODE then look at the autoexec.bat file. There was a line added to it that included @ON ERROR pause. Had to remove it. Also I had to rename a file or two. You can contact McAfee to get the complete instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back