Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 freezes sometimes during surfing the net 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
GB
Hi folks!

My Windows98-machine sometimes (too often) hangs up / freezes when I use my dialup-connection. But only if I use the Internet Explorer... when playing CounterStrike / Half-Life online it works perfectly fine and never crashes.

Can anyone please help me cause this is really bothersome! %-(

Thanx in advance!

cya

frag patrick.metz@epost.de

The next time you boot up, do a CTRL-ALT-DEL right after Windows finishes loading. Count the number of processes you have running. Nevermind their names for now. If the number you come up with is greater than 15, we need to do some work. Typically, you want to try and have a ballpark figure between 10-12. If you have to have more it's fine, but then you'll need to tweak other parts of your system. Let's just start here and see what we find...

Hi cdogg!

Hope you're still there... sorry but I was busy the whole time.

I have less than 15 processes running... so what do you think I should do now?

bye for now...

if its only in ie, uninstall and reinstall it.
perhaps some kind tech here will tell you how, i always
do all of windows in this situation.

:-Q x->

I would clean out your temp folder first and see if IE isn't trying to read a corrupted temp file. Try windows\temp and c:\temp. If you think it's IE specifically, you might try the repair option built into IE or reinstall it from within the folder itself. careful with repair, I've heard of some sketchy results. Do a scandisk just for run and maybe even a defrag if you have the time.

Snow

The fix that works about 99% of the time is to right click on My Computer, Properties, Performance, and Graphics. Then turn off your Hardware Graphics Acceleration by sliding the control all the way to the left. Then you have to re-start your computer. You can always reverse this process when you need to play an AGP 3D game. This usually will fix the problem of "feezing" on certain web sites. If it does it on all web sites, then you have a more serious problem. I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

Nobrain
I have been looking for a solution for this problem for months for a user I have been trying to help. I have done a format and clean reinstall, plus temporary replacement of all hardware I suspected may be at fault, RAM, video Card, power supply and modem. Have disabled all software set to run at startup, played with java settings and done every software tweak known to man, etc, etc. Nothing has fully worked although some of the software fiddles seemed to lessen the problem. Am now trying your suggestion, should have thought of it myself of course but there you are. A definite star, if it works I am forever in your debt.

Mulga,
Please let me know if that fixes the problem. It has worked for me and others on "web pages freezing".
Frag,
Let me know if it helps you, too.
nobrain I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

Nobrain,
Unfortunately it did not cure my users problem, however it did change the symtoms slightly. I am nearly sure now I am looking at a hardware fault in the mobo, but it was certainly worth a try. Thanks again.

Mulga,
Sorry that didn't work for you. I just thought of something else---Internet Explorer comes with a spyware program called "Alexa". Spyware has been known to cause freezing problems. I removed it from my IE 6.0 with Ad-aware and 6.0 works great with no problems for me. Just a thought! I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

Hey guys!

I am back.... with the old problem!

In the last few weeks I have noticed that my pc doesn't only freez if I am online. I worked (offline) with the IE and the texteditor Ultra Edit 32. Suddenly... system stopped.

Another phenomenon:
If I just play CounterStrike everything is fine but if I go to the chatroom within Half-Life my machine freezes sometimes too. There is no IE involved (as far as I know)!

To give you further clues:
I only use this pc for internet-stuff and online gaming.
This thing was a P2 450 with 128 MB Ram on an ASUS P2B (SCSI onboard) and a TNT2 Ultra. This system was running perfectly stable.
I upgraded it to a P3 500 with 256 MB Ram (2 * 128 MB). One of the memory-modules is the old one. And I changed the video-card to a GeForce2.

Can there be any hardware-incompatibility??

greetings

hi again

most interesting problem

u have done all, and more,than i wld suggest,

u eliminated the hardware issues except for memory and mthrbrd that i can see, and by reloading from scratch, all the presumed software issues.

it cld be a recurrent ie issue possibly altho dubious now--
it cld be mthrbrd...except...i cant imagine what that
has to do with anything running...

HELP HELP im dieing to find this solution!

:-Q x->

Hi,
Have you tried to install the latest device drivers for your hardware. Had the same problem a couple of years ago with a P133. Loaded the motherboard VIA drivers and Video Drivers and seemed to clear this up.

I would sugest to load the appropriate motherboard drivers from their web sites, sound and video too.

Another problem I have found is the dreaded windows 98 screen savers.

Frag,
Your CPU could be overheating, also your motherboard may not support the Geforce 2. Is it a 4X card? the TNT2 was probably 4X/2X and you may have a 2X motherboard? Just throwing things out there........... "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

My client solved the problem himself, bought a completely new system running XP [2thumbsup]

Hi...

One thing you guys might try is putting your systems on a good UPS with a regulator - often I've had these UI or ghost problems, and it turned out to be spikes or a ground loop...one key symptom to look for in a power supply problem is Occam's Razor: "Eliminate the Impossible, and whatever is left, however Improbable, must be the Truth..."

APC makes a good single/system Back-UPS for about $80-$100...

Also, to nobrain:

Doesn't the 4X/2X AGP compatibility bug usually show up during POST and boot? Let me know, 'cuz I've got some old cards I'm trying to test...thx!

John

"The Mind Is A Terrible Thing..."

Yeah, I think you're right. That Geforce 2 should be a 2X/4X so I don't think that's his problem after thinking about it. It could still be a heat related issue, though. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

hi....almost every other time i play CS it freezes with this repeditive sound thing...wtf is it? how can i get rid of it?

i have to restart my comp everytime it freezes..

thx

Who can I get the cpu's temperature?
There is no info in the bios.... and as already mentioned I don't want to use Motherboard Monitor. patrick.metz@epost.de

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back