Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a relatively new system running Windows 98. I have a consistent problem with the computer "Freezing up." The mouse still responds, but the screen locks up. I can not select any items. I can not ctrl*alt*delete. There is no warning, no blue screen, and no error messages. The only thing I can do is move the mouse cursor or press the reset button on the CPU.

The problem seems to occur most often when I am using my scanner or CD/R, but may happen at any time. Most recently when I was just surfing the net with only IE open. Sometimes, there is a slight screen distortion with the freeze. (I have a 32MB Radeon video card if it matters).

From reading the other posts, I don't think it is a heat problem as I seem to have adequate air flow and as the freeze is just as likely to happen right after I turn on the system, as it is after it's been running for hours (if I can get it to run for that long.)

Thanks for any ideas or help.

I'd boot to safe mode for and see if it happens there. Localize the problem to either software or hardware. If it acts up in safe mode, I'd say do a clean install. If it doesn't. Use MSCONFIG and see what is getting loaded at boot. Weed out any unnecessary programs until you find the culprit. Anything out of the ordinary about your pc?

Mr. Blonde

Have you considered upgrading to 2k or XP. Win98 is notorious for freezing (for no apparent reason, or one that can take weeks to track down) - which is why I gave up using it and moved to NT (then 2k - XP much the same as 2k with a fresh coat of paint). All NT systems are much more reliable than 9x/ME.

Renard 64,
I have the exact same problem in Win98SE. Have you tested your RAM (I did and it was fine)? A bad module can cause freezes. Download a free eval copy of Data Advisor software from Ontrack.com. See how your RAM checks out. I first used Norton Systemworks on mine and it repoted failure. However, when I used Data Advisor, it tested out as ok. You be the judge of which is correct after you check out Data Advisor.

Anyway, PLEASE let me know if you fix your freezes because I have been trying for months without success. I am just about ready to upgrade to XP.
thanks and good luck,
Neil

My RAM (256) checks out fine. (It is Windows 98SE that I'm having troubles with.)

I have considered upgrading to xp. I wanted to throw a Hail Mary and ask the question before I did it. I fear that I'll buy and install the new software and have the same problem.

Thanks.

Renard64,
Did you ever get your freeze up problem resolved? Mine is very strange. On some days, my box freezes 5 or more times a night. On the very next day, it may not freeze at all. Yesterday I put it thru the paces with a very graphically intense game (which almost never causes a freeze), some audio editing (which is a huge CPU hog), some IE surfing of the web, and some Photoshop digital editing. Never froze up once! Then, tonight, it had frozen while idle once and while surfing once. Go figure! Anyone think I might have a motherboard problem?
Neil

nspeer, no I haven't solved the problem yet. It sounds like our problems are nearly the same. I tried the data advisor software, but it locks up on me when I try to start it - surprise, surprise. I just turned down the Graphics Hardware Acceleration to see if that helps at all. I'm not optimistic.

Renard64, Have you tried to change your memory, cuz if it freeze when you try to test it, it's apparently related to that. try to put another type of memory, and maybe it'll work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back