Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 domain user account lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman873

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2004
US
Installed agent 3.0 on 4 Win98 machines and after about 10 minutes of the user being logged in, he/she has no domain authentication anymore. Can't get into their home dir and can't print. I have to reboot to get it back on track., any ideas (besides upgrade win98). Epol server is not on the same domain, but we do have 2 one way trusts with the domain it is on. Thanks!

I have a similar issue however with my Windows 9x clients. But discovered that the problem could be with the accounts used for agent communication. My Active directory sites use and account called Domain\Epolicy which does not have permission on the NT domains. The NT domains use an account called Domain\Epouser.

When a new site is created in the epolicy directory that site is enabled by default throughout the directory structure. If an account from the NT domain attempts to connect to a repository within the active directory site, as there is no trust relationship between the domains after 3 attempts that account is locked out (a group policy setting).

The solution has been to make sure that clients can only retrieve updates from sites where the accounts have permissions (via the epolicy agent configuration) and disable all other sites. (a pain when you have over 50 repositories). Then send an agent wakeup call so that client update there policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back