Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
When I attempt to Defrag in Window 98 2nd ed. it will begin normally, but when it reaches 2% it will jump back to 0%. It will do this over and over. Then when I attempt to Scan disk it will get part way through and stop. Any suggestions?

This is a pretty common problem. The first few things to try are this.

1) Make sure your screensaver is disabled. If that doesn't fix it.....

2) Boot to safe mode and run defrag from there. If that doesn't fix it....

3) Disable everything that runs in the background, these are all the little things that are in your system tray.

That corrects it most of the time I think.

Justin

Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

Well I was going to stick my 2 cents in but the previous reply hit the nail right on the head. You follow his instructions and you will be just fine. He explained it PERFECTLY for you and very easy to understand. I hope you thanked him for taking the time out to write this out like he did. Have a great day....Harley

Go in and make sure that you're screen saver is turned so it doesn't come on during the process. It can cause it to do what you are describing try that.

haha I was goint to say the same thing as harly and thadwalt. Ya both hit it on the head!
I hope... :)

Well, what if you tried these things and still it says there is a probelm and it can't run defrag.....

If you have access to Windows Millenium and you would like to speed up the defrag you can delete the 98 defrag, replace it with millenium defrag and rename it to defrag.
It's basically the same thing but a lot faster.

If all else fails try the following
Under your C:\Windows folder there is an APPLOG folder. Note that this folder is hidden so be sure you have your folder options to display hidden files.
Once you find this folder delete all files in the APPLOG folder. And try to run it again otherwise Safe Mode (as mentioned by osuman) or possibly chipdip's suggestion will work.
Regards

If you've got virus protection... disable it.

Another way to do a defrag is at the dos level before you go into windows. to do this press f8 before it starts loading windows and select command prompt only then just type defrag. This will ensure nothing is running as dos is a single session environment

I tired running this in safe mode and was given a warning that if I do this in safe mode, it may ruin my windows operatrions... so I left it alone.. I have not the option of using windows 2000 and disengage my virus protection when I run it....

The most robust and reliable defragger that I have had the pleasure to use is Vopt Millenium Edition. It works very fast and offers colored bar graphs with disk statistics. I defragged several tough customers that the other defraggers would lockup on or loop endlessly in restarts.

how about trying this, i have 98se and this works.
go to Start>Run and type msconfig in the Open box.

On the General Tab, uncheck all items listed under Selective Startup (make sure Selective Startup is selected).

Hit Apply and OK.

This will put windows with only the basics running. the computeer will ask you to restart, say yes. then go to accessories and run your scandisk and defrag. when all done, go back to RUN, msconfig, select Normal Setup and restart windows.

this should work and you do not have to disable anything since this procedure does that for you.

Good luck, snooky

Buy Norton Utilities or Systemworks which has Norton Utilities as a part of it - soooooo much better than micorsofts defrag...

Norton System works is good BUT its defrag takes for ever and ever. the windows 98 defrag is several hours quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back