Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98, CTRL-C, V, A do not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsky

Technical User
Nov 24, 2001
US
I recently reformatted the disk of a Win98 system then re-installed it (to clean it up) - everything works, however the CTRL keys (i.e. CTRL-C for "copying", CTRL-V for "pasting", CTRL-A for "select all", etc.) no longer work. The "context (right mouse button) menus do work though... So far I can find no way to re-enable the CTRL keys? Can anyone suggest an answer to this dilema? Thank you.

This could be a coincidence.Chances are the keyboard is damaged.
Take control of your life, not someone else's

I have no solution, but a question: do both Ctrl keys have the same problem?

Yes, both CTRL keys work the same (meaning neither work). I have tried changing the keyboard - to no avail. Further, the CTRL options that usually apear next to the "copy" and "paste" options (CTRL-C and V - as an example) in the context menus (right mouse button) are no longer there. Yet the context menu options still work...

As mentioned I re-formatted my disk and re-installed my Win98 OS and assumed some component was missing, so I reloaded the disk and made sure all options are installed - still no CTRL key "hot keys..." I'm mystified...

Thanks again.

Just a hunch but when you re-installed was the correct keyboard layout and language selected?

Go to Control Panel > keyboard > language

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back